Liquid blood poop, help!

suzannejeanette

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2019
7E4CF223-A303-41EE-BE64-346D621CFE37.jpeg

One of our 2 or 3 month old chicks had a liquidy bloody poop! I saw a similar dropping two days ago but thought it was from too much watermelon. Today that’s not the case. We have had chickens for three years and this is new to me. Could this be Coccidiosis? Any other ideas? There are 10 chicks and we don’t know who did it, and they are all acting normal as of now.
any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

We might be able to tell you if you let us know where you're located and what the climate is.

In addition to climate, have you imported any soil or bedding lately? Have you introduced any herbal supplements into their diet? If so, what are they?

We might be able to tell you if you let us know where you're located and what the climate is.

In addition to climate, have you imported any soil or bedding lately? Have you introduced any herbal supplements into their diet? If so, what are they?
I’m in Southern California and it’s still warm during the day and cool at night. We have not added anything new. Thank you!

I would treat for Coccidiosis with Corid.

Dosage and instructions:

Corid, Amprol, or AmproMed dose is 3-7 days at full strength (1.5 teaspoon powder or 2 teaspoons liquid per gallon), then a reduced dose for an additional 7-14 days (1/3 teaspoon powder or 1/2 teaspoon liquid per gallon).

When treating a bird for coccidiosis one can give an oral drench in addition to their medicated water. Here are the instructions:

Corid 9.6% liquid - Do not dilute.
Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.
or
0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.

Corid 20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.
or
0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.

Back
Top Bottom