Liquid coming from mouth and vent....! HELP

grasjm36

Songster
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
Hagerman, ID
I have a newly laying red six link pullet that I came home to standing in our driveway, lethargic, and sort of seizing up with her eyes closed. What seemed to be water was dripping from her vent and her crop felt a bit like a water balloon. When we picked her up everything she ate that day and water came pouring out but WAS NOT SOUR smelling. According to the hubby when he quarintined her, she looked like she was prolapsing "but he pushed it all in and she doesn't look good". Not sure what to do in either case. Shes on the roost at the moment. What the heck is going on and what do I do????

please someone help

I had a very young die when I was out of town of something similar. She had a water balloon crop and threw up water. I was half way across the country and couldn't help her and felt miserable.

I need to know what to do.

I had something similar happen with one of my birds a week or two ago. I am not sure if she was dealing with internal laying and got a water balloon crop secondary to that, or what happened, but we thought she would die anytime, and at one point, I almost snapped her neck before my husband got home. I was ready to do it as she seemed like she was on her way out, and I thought she was uncomfortable (and this is part of the care of my flock), but then she rallied, and I waited. Her crop was like a water balloon, but not as large as some described here. I gently massaged it, and gave her some drops of poly-vi-sol without iron once a day for a couple of days. I noticed that whenever she bent over to peck (which wasn't that often) liquid would run out of her beak. I started using ACV with the Mother in it, at about a tablespoon per gallon, and just continued to watch her. I watched her overall appearance, especially her comb and how she held her feathers, in order to judge whether her health was deteriorating further. Over the next few days, as the balloon shrank back, I scrambled eggs for her with organic nonfat yogurt, and she started eating again. She wasn't out of the woods yet, and we still were not sure if she was laying internally, so we gave her a warm bath, blow-dried her, and then fed her eggs, yogurt and raisins. She ate well, and is doing better and better. Yesterday she played dandelion-greens keep away with the other birds. She wasn't as fast as usual, but she was quick enough to elude the other girls, and ate her prize. The truth is, when something presents as illness in a chicken, you can't always tell what exactly is wrong, or if it is a combination of things. Sometimes another poster can point you in the right direction, but sometimes you just have to go with your research, do your best, and hope you can save your bird..

That is so strange that these two things happened at the same time, with your bird and now mine. Well this morning I went out to check on her and brought crumbled bread with olive oil to help ease something at least. She had no interest i food but I could tell she had drank some water. I watched her for and when she calmed down she got in the egg laying stance. She pushed and pushed and pushed and finally plopped out an egg. The shell wasn't developed very well so it was like a soft egg. It was pretty huge, but she always lays large. Later that day she seemed fine, ate drank, free ranged. I had to leave for most of the day and now tonight shes in a nest box in the "i'm trying to lay an egg get outta my face" position. SO can she have an egg stuck up there and laying more eggs on top of that???

Back
Top Bottom