Liquid water in winter?

There's not room in my elevated coop for food and water plus 12 hens. It has a nice roost bar with 3 nest boxes on each long side and a two foot wide central aisle. Basically it's designed for egg laying and sleeping, because my hens free range in the 1/3 acre backyard. They have a semi-sheltered under the deck area where I store the straw bales under a big tarp on sawhorses. They huddle under that when it's rainy.

So I thought if I didn't try the chicken nipples in a hanging gallon jug, changed out 2-3 times a day with warmer water (pretty time consuming) I'd try a light bulb enclosed in a big metal cookie tin to set underneath my gallon plastic waterer and warm the water from beneath. Someone had a few pictures with this system on BYC. I have a power outlet under the deck so that'd be easy, and that way their water would be where they're already used to finding it.

I don't want to deprive my girls liquid water during the cold weather either. Rubbing vaseline onto their combs to repel water is a great idea. My mom used to do that with me before sending me out to play in handknitted mittens. Pretty sticky but it worked.

As severe as your winters are, I'm sure they're going to be looking for a sheltered place for during the day, on all the bad days. Mine spend a lot more time indoors during the winter. The area under your deck sounds like a good spot to make sure they are dry and have a wind break during the day, as an alternative to their coop.

Back
Top Bottom