Liquid with egg

basketmom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
Ok, this is my second egg like this and I am getting a little worried. I have found a perfectly beautiful egg laying in the nesting box, but laying on top of "wet" pin shavings. It's not a huge amount just a little area under and around the egg. Like she peed when the egg came out. This is the second time in a few weeks that I have found one like this. The liquid is not gooey or does not appear to be an egg that was eaten (which I don't have that problem anyway). It has no odor and it's just wet bedding so it must be watery because when I scoop up the bedding all I am getting is wet bedding. Should I be worried?

welcome-byc.gif

I have not seen this before, but I am a newbie to chickens. Sit tight and someone with experience will answer your question. it doesn't sound too bad. Are the eggs unusually large? It sounds like the liquid that accompanies all eggs, just too much of it.
smile.png

No, I do have some hens lay really large eggs, but these two have been medium to large size. I am not sure if this matters but my girls are only 5-6 months old. Thanks

No, I have 10 females..I am not sure which one is doing it. I watch my babies very carefully though. No weird behaviors or looking sick. I found rubbery egg about 3 or 4 weeks ago but that is the only strange one I have had. The eggs are brown and they are a nice brown color nothing abnormal what so ever. Is this a sign of something I should be watching out for?

Sometimes young layers will lay a perfectly good egg and a partial egg at the same time. Usually as they get more mature this stops.

If you are sure it is coming from the same hen, I wouldn't be too concerned about it, just keep an eye on it.

thanks, I will keep an eye on it. They are 5-6 months, they have only been laying maybe 4-5 weeks. I will try to watch and see which one it is even though I only have one lunch time layer but all the others are morning between 6-9.

Guess what.. cleaned the coop out today and found the remains of a soft egg shell with nothing in it. I guess it was a partial egg with a regular egg like you said, and they must have picked the softshell up and took off with it. I will still watch just to make sure, but I'm glad they will grow out of it.

Back
Top Bottom