List of food NOT to feed chickens

Oh my gosh! What a score! It looks like it's still good for human consumption as well. If so that's a huge bonus! Good for you :)

Thank you for the list I guess im ok to feed my chickens cooked pinto beans. It said dry beans. Raising Happy Chicks here in Indiana

I am a very new chicken MaMA and learning as I go. I fill their feed bucket with pellets and scratch, which they are still spilling to the ground and twice a day I put raw spring mix salad greens, or broccoli and carrots, or cabbage and squash. Cooked Basmati rice, or oatmeal, apple peels etc in the food processor and chop it fsurly fine. I hAve a large clay cotta plant saucer I put it and my two RIR devour it...I put a kitty litter pan with 2 inches of saND in the run, with a little D.E. in it, for dust baths and have little dishes of crushed oyster shell and grit for them. Poop is occasionally runny but their roosting poop is well formed. Wood shavings on the hard clay dirt in their pen as well as in the coop. I have been using my garden hound to till up areas of the pen to aid in their scratching for bugs or seeds but wonder if I should cut back on all the fresh foods? They are good layers with lovely brown eggs and seem strong and healthy. They have become less fraidy and submit to being stroked or even picked up but the largest one has a bare bottom. Noticed it about a week ago and now she has a couple of bruised looking areas...should I be doctoring it?

Interesting. I have had most of that list fed to chickens without symptoms. I go by the rule that the chickens can in anything I can except chocolate and citrus. I have several eat teabags with out issue as long as they are tagless. The chocolate seems to make the rather sick and lethargic, and they just ignore the citrus.
Anything that is mouldy or is coated with a spray that is not safe for people is definitely bad for chickens, although they deal with eating Mould better than most animals.

It also seems to vary a bit from breed to breed, some things the show bantams eat lots of will make the heavy meat birds sick, and some of the meaties favorite treats make the banties sick.

I avoid moldy foods, and citrus but most other things we give in moderation and just what they are intended for treats, my roo loves cookies I am always baking so when I have anything that sits around for a week out it goes to the chickens they all seem fine and my production is good. I don't think I have ever really thought much of a "do not feed" list as bad as that is

Back
Top Bottom