Listless Chicken with Diarrhea (Updated with pictures!)

primenumbergirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
I have a 1 year old Rhode Island Red who has been listless and mostly uninterested in eating and drinking.

I noticed that she was sitting down and napping during the day yesterday, which my birds never do alone. Today she appears weaker and she doesn't kick me as she usually does when I pick her up. She still walks around and pecks at things, but it looks like she tires easily and hasn't been eating or drinking with her usual regularity. I've given her some of her favorite foods (shelled sunflower seeds and scrambled eggs) she'll eat a little, and certainly not with her usual alacrity.

This afternoon she had some yellow diarrhea, later her poop was green, but more solid. She's one of those chickens who usually has a little poop on her butt, but today there was quite a bit caked on. I gave her a warm bath and toweled her off. Normally she would have fought hard before going in the bath tub, but today she stood there and looked at me without a noise.

I checked her crop and it's empty. I also don't feel any blocked eggs. She doesn't look like she's in pain and doesn't appear to be straining. No injuries.

I've read through a few dozen threads and I'm not really sure what's wrong, though a worm infestation does sound like a strong possibility. I feel stupid for waiting until after spring molt to de-worm my chickens. I'll be adding liquid de-wormer to everyone's water tomorrow. I tried to give her drops directly, but her beak is clamped shut and she shakes he head if I try to give her anything via nostril. I did see her drink a little this evening, so it's possible that I can dose her tomorrow.

I feel pretty clueless. Is there any treatment I can do myself other than dosing with liquid piperazine? Prayer?

I have a number for an avian vet a few towns away. I'll give them a call if I'm equally clueless by morning.

Last edited:
Holy crap, that is useful!

I guess the closest match is the bottom left photo of the ceacal grouping. The diarrhea is very liquid, though, no solids.

She's sleeping right now on a roost, which I suppose is a good sign.

I use Apple Cidar Vinigar when I suspect anything going on with my birds. I give it to them as chicks if they have a pasty bum, and once and a while for my older birds as a supplement and preventative. It gets rid of parasites and other illnesses. They have never had a problem drinking it. I add about 1 tbs per gallon.

Last edited:
Oh no. She's not coming down from her roost and the floor under her is covered the same yellowish diarrhea.

Here are a few pictures to help elaborate.

Catherine the chicken:
IMG_2599.JPG

Her poop:
IMG_2597.JPG

This sounds and looks (the poop!) exactly like what I have been going through with my Harriet this week. Unfortunately, I do not know what it is or what to do so I don't have any answers for you.

I have kept her inside in a dog crate, giving her water with electrolytes and antibiotics from the feed store. We did go to a vet last Friday but they were not able to diagnose anything. Definitely she did not have parasites.

I will let you know if I learn anything more, and best of luck with your hen!

Sara

Thanks for all the replies. I really, really appreciate the time everyone has taken to give me advice.

So, I took her to the avian vet this morning. The veterinarian confirmed that she does indeed have diarrhea and took a stool sample. It was negative for parasites. Her crop and egg tract also checked out. In the end, nothing was conclusive, so she got an antibiotic shot and an antibiotic prescription to take home. He also gave her some fluids and she perked up a bit; she could barely keep her eyes open previously.

She's back home in her own indoor pen with a bowl of her favorite food and a bowl of gatorade. She's still drowsy and lethargic, but she's eating and drinking a little, so I have some hope.

Back
Top Bottom