Listless Chicks

FarmerFranM

Hatching
Mar 25, 2018
I ordered 12 chicks from Central Tractor that were delivered last Friday. All seem fine. Over the weekend 4 developed "sticky butt", so of course, I've been wiping baby chick hineys for the past few days.
Today is Tuesday, and the chicks seem more sleepy then the past few days, they're sleeping a bunch, at least more than the past few days. They have plenty of water and I keep their feed bowl stocked and clean. They are living in a Rubbermaid tote with a heat lamp set at 95 degrees.
Is their behavior because they are getting settled in or an indication that something else is going on?

Thanks,

I have a thermometer over the tote. I had moved it the light up and then they started sleeping more. I pointed the lamp over top late yesterday and they seem much more active. Maybe they were just cold.

I have a thermometer over the tote. I had moved it the light up and then they started sleeping more. I pointed the lamp over top late yesterday and they seem much more active. Maybe they were just cold.

It's possible they were too cold - were they peeping a lot and huddling?
Has the pasty butt cleared up?

It's good that they are more active - chicks will take naps during the day, but overall, they should be active, eating/drinking.
Do you have your grow out pen or coop ready for them?

They were laying around in bunches. It's funny, during the day they were sleepy, at night they were active last night. I have a big girl coop ready to go. I live in southern NJ and it's been a typical March, cold and damp, so I'm going to have to keep them in the house until they get full feathers. Right now they have wing tip and tail tip feathers coming in. The sticky butt seems to be under control. I keep checking and only see dirty butts but not sticky.

Back
Top Bottom