listless hen laying eggs with no shell

Chicken Patti

Chirping
Apr 9, 2021
I have a hen who has not laid an egg in a while, not sure how long its been. I thought it was do to the hot weather and the fact that i have two broody hens in the coop, but this morning i went out to check on everyone and collect my eggs and I found two eggs without shells one intacted and one busted open. They have oyster shells available all the time, and the other eggs i collect have strong shells. The hen is now just laying on the ground with her eyes closed not eating or drinking, i made some electrolyte water for her and she did take a few sips but is not well..Any help would be appreciated.

Since it's not possible to be certain that her lethargic behavior is due to the soft eggs or the hot weather, it makes sense to go ahead and treat for both since not treating for these could end with the hen dying.

The treatment for heat sickness is Gatoraid or electrolytes and sugar in her water. If you have no electrolytes, mix up a cup of water with a spoonful of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda and give it to her to drink or if she's too weak, syringe it into her.

To treat the egg issue, a calcium supplement is necessary. Not oyster shell. It's too hard to digest in time to be effective. You need a calcium tablet such as this.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
Give it directly into the beak without crushing or trying to dissolve or dilute in water. She needs a minimum of 500mg once a day until her issues resolve and that means getting normal egg shells.

My hen started laying no shells for a while she had oyster shells and fresh water available, with my other hens laying strong eggs. I dried then crushed up eggs shells and cooked up scrambled eggs, which she had a little go at but my other hens cleaned up, I took them to the coop and fed her a bit of both and by the afternoon she was laying eggs as normal. The weather was a bit colder than usual down here and she is a silkie so it might not work for your hen but I hope all goes well.

My hen started laying no shells for a while she had oyster shells and fresh water available, with my other hens laying strong eggs. I dried then crushed up eggs shells and cooked up scrambled eggs, which she had a little go at but my other hens cleaned up, I took them to the coop and fed her a bit of both and by the afternoon she was laying eggs as normal. The weather was a bit colder than usual down here and she is a silkie so it might not work for your hen but I hope all goes well.
You may need to worm them as well. The immune system may be down because of an infestation.

Back
Top Bottom