Listless laying pullet - Good news! **Last Update **

Ok so now I'm even more confused and perplexed!
he.gif

All of this is great advice, thank you! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all this experience and help. I just don't know what to do? I do know I'm going to stock up on all the meds I might ever need because it is very frustrating when you don't have what you want. But for now, do I worm? Do I not worm?

Also, I went out this morning expecting to see her either dead, worse or the same....I found her up and around and no yellow poo in the coop or run. She even came when I went to the coop and started pecking at scratch grains I put out. She was even back to her almost normal self of not wanting to be touched and ran around a bit while I tried to catch her. I checked her bottom and no runny yellow poo there either. I guess this is good news? Could it have been just something she ate treat wise? Maybe their crumble is bad?

For more background, the only worming I've ever done with them is using DE. I have put it in their food. I tend to not want to use meds on any animal...or person...unless absolutely needed. They do not free range because of my dogs and city restrictions so they are on a dirt run and sand floor coop. They do get lots of grass cuttings, greens from the garden, bugs, etc. I'm pretty sure this particular chicken is laying but I cannot be 100% sure like I said because I haven't actually witnessed any of my girls laying yet. I have been getting eggs since the second week of August, about 3-6 a day from 8 mature enough pullets. This pullet is roughly 6 months old.

I'm wondering at this point if I shouldn't just watch her and see? I'm going to dump out all their food today and buy fresh. I'm also going to take them off treats for a few days and see if that helps.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, she is back to not being perky, but she is not any worse but we do have yellow poo again so I'm going to worm everyone and see if that works before doing cocci treatment. My vet told me that ivomectin will only kill one type of parasite but has no other information on what I can use for a broad wormer. Any ideas? Also do I have to throw all the eggs they lay while worming?

You could try chopped pumpkin seeds and buttermilk and see if the bird expells anything that looks like a worm. It won't hurt to try before a chemical worming.

Also, if you suspect it could be something in the feed since you are dumping all the old feed, try a molasses flush and see if she perks up.

Can you tell me how to do the buttermilk and pumpkin seed thing...how often do you do it? Does it kill the worms or just help you determine if you have worms?
hu.gif

...also what is a molasses flush?

~Rebecca

My vet toldme that ivomectin will only kill one type of parasite but has no other information on what I can use for a broad wormer. ...

WHAT??? That statement is incorrect I assure you...ivermectin is a broad sprectrum wormer, very effective and one of the "safest" wormers around (see the chart in this article):
http://www.avian.uga.edu/documents/pip/2005/PIPSept-Oct 2005.pdf#search='hygromycin B worms poultry'
Treatment of Intestinal Worms (Univ. of Georgia)

you will see other medications mentioned that you can also use however I recommecnded the ivomec Eprinex because it can be administered (and should be) as a "spot on " treatment (base of neck on skin) and i"s less hard on their system.​

Last edited:
Diana is correct. Ivomec Eprinex and invermectin kill many types of worms. Cant even trust a vet to get the right information on chickens, gee.
Pumpkin seeds contain a substance that paralyzes the worms and the buttermilk just aids in setting up the right environment to flush them out. A molasses flush makes them poop alot. It's just molasses in water to act as a laxative. The pumpkin seed/buttermilk thing is more a preventative that keeps the worm load from building up. Just give it to them weekly. They love it. Pour buttermilk in a bowl and sprinkle the seeds in it OR put the seeds in their scratch.

Last edited:
Quote:
WHAT??? That statement is incorrect I assure you...ivermectin is a broad sprectrum wormer, very effective and one of the "safest" wormers around (see the chart in this article):
http://www.avian.uga.edu/documents/pip/2005/PIPSept-Oct 2005.pdf#search='hygromycin B worms poultry'
Treatment of Intestinal Worms (Univ. of Georgia)

you will see other medications mentioned that you can also use however I recommecnded the ivomec Eprinex because it can be administered (and should be) as a "spot on " treatment (base of neck on skin) and i"s less hard on their system.

Yeah, the funny part is she is the head vet/owner of the clinic! I ignored her (I've used the same stuff for everything from mites to worms in cats, guinea pigs, ect) and took the medicine, which unfortunately was oral. I didn't feel I could wait to get an order of Eprinex offline, so I administered it to Rosalie last night. I am going to order the Eprinex to have on hand for the future but for now, I'm hoping this will help...if she does indeed have worms. I have enough to the whole flock, but haven't yet given it to them yet. I find it so odd that is the only one showing any odd symptoms and I hate to over-medicate.

I can attest to them loving buttermilk and pumpkin seeds! They went crazy for them when I put them out yesterday, lol.

Thank you again for all the help and information! This has been so stressful and frustrating. She seems to be doing a bit better today. This morning she wasn't in the run with the others so I was a bit scared to look, but she was just sitting on her roost. I took her out, gave her some more poly-vi-sol and force fed her some yogurt...which I think she actually enjoyed but was not going to give me the benefit of the doubt by showing it! Then I cleaned her up a bit with a warm cloth and I think she was actually feeling much better. She is still drinking well but won't eat her layer pellets. She was strong enough to fight me though when she had enough of the cleaning and force feeding. I took that as a good sign
smile.png
Later I saw her joining in the stripping of a tomato plant. I'm keeping my fingers crossed she continues to improve each day.

Last edited:
Well, I really have no idea what I did or what was really wrong with her, but she is slowly getting back to her old self. All the runny yellow poop is gone and she is acting like a chicken again
big_smile.png

Last night I went out to force feed her more yogurt and she would have none of it. She wanted out of my lap to explore the yard. I should have known she was better when it took me about 5 minutes to even catch her! I gave up and she went right back in the run and joined the others who were eating some leftover lettuce from dinner. This morning, she was slow getting up...sleeping in I guess, lol...but she came out of the coop when I called her and she joined the others eating their morning treat. All day she has been acting close to normal...maybe a bit punky still (slow and sleepy), but better than a couple days ago. I haven't seen her eat any layer pellets yet, but I'm guessing she must be.

Whew!

What type of pumpkin seeds?? Are you getting a pumpkin and feeding fresh seeds? Have never heard of it, and would like to give it a try.

Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom