Litmus Test for Predators

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by darkmatter, Jan 8, 2011.

1. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Had a bout with Raccoons earlier this year and set the live trap. Caught several Raccoons, two foxes, and possums. Released some stupid cats and a Guinea. Haven’t caught anything for a while and having a couple surplus Roosters I was thinking about butchering------I tossed them out of the Coop/Run to free range it for a while till I could get around to wanting Chicken Noodle Soup. One disappeared the first night and the second vanished the third night. No sign of a struggle or feathers, they had been roosting in a big Cedar Tree and free ranging the yard during the day. So-------yes, I still have something coming in to eat chickens and either is too big for the live trap or has become trap smart. (I’s gotta git me a trail cam, I might have a bigfoot or something else big & scary.)

2. Fuzzy Clucker

Fuzzy Clucker New Egg

Dec 27, 2010
    Fallbrook
    What kind of trap is it you're catching all these predators in?

3. darkmatter

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Gho!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My greathorned owls (GHO's) target smaller birds first. Anything the size of dominique hen or larger seems to be difficult for them to fly far with. If GHO, then look within a 100 foot radius for the feather pile or remains. They fly as far as they can but do not seem to drag kill like some hawks do.

What breed is being taken. My GHO seem to leave dominique roosters alone but will, if given time take every single hen.

6. darkmatter

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:These two Roos that disappeared were large older dual purpose mutts----->10 pounds. They were roosting in a large Cedar tree, so they weren't very visible and there was no sign of struggle or feathers. It's as if something just picked them up and carried them off whole! (I need a trailcam to catch bigfoot)

7. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Can't remember where you're located... coyote? bobcat? cougar?

Personally I'd cross my fingers for bigfoot. Lose a couple mutt roos, gain millions when you sell that trail cam footage! [​IMG]

We've gone quite a while without an attack here. *knock on wood* And then I found one of the 8 weekers the other day on the lawn, headless and frozen solid. [​IMG] It must not have gone in the coop the night before. Stupid bird.

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    If a GHO can handle a full-grown skunk or porcupine, it'll take a 10-lb rooster with no problem.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Or a full grown goose or turkey if hungry enough.

10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    GHO can prey upon larger prey but they can not fly any distance with catch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by