Litter box trainingg NOT working! Crazy cat nothing will work!

GoldenSparrow

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
I have a 3 year old cat that that I got as kitten. He along with his litter mates were abandoned at a playground.
Along with Drake I have two other cats. He is buddies with all of them. He is an indoor cat and is terrified of the outside. He is also neutered.

Ever since we got him, he has had litter box problems. He never would use the litter box. We keep the box down in the basement. Drake, sometimes (when he felt like it) would pee in the litter box, but he would always poop else where in the basement. It was soo hard. we eventually fenced off most of the basement, so he would pee in the box most days and poop always right outside the box.
Even though the basement is fenced off to a 4 by 4 area, he tries every thing to get over the fence, find hols in the nets, anything! to get over the "Fence" to go the bathroom pee and poop anywhere else in the basement! Then he started going on my main floor every once and a while! I never know where he is going to pee or poop! its never in the same spot! even in the baseement he would just go all over in differnt spots. I am so frustrated with this crazy cat!!!
I have tried everything!
hit.gif

we have 3 liter boxes!
I tried all different types of litter
talked to vets

So I heard retain him.... its not working.
Drake now stays in a cage and has just enough room for a bed, and his litter box ( with CAT Attract Litter) and a bit of space. in the cage he always uses he litter box. so then after a while, I think he must be understanding, so we let him into the bedroom that thte cage is in sometimes...its not a big bedroom! We thought he was doing good...until we found out that he had gone under the bed, by the door, anywhere but the litter box. He will use the liter box 9 out of 10 times hes locked in the cage but as soon as hes let out its back to avoiding it at all costs!

Please I really need HELP with this cat! Im out of ideas!
hit.gif

Thank you all so much.
fl.gif

That is super frustrating. I'm so sorry you are going through this! Cat pee is one of the worst things to deal with!

Sounds like you are on the right track with litter and multiple boxes. Do you have any other cats at home? Any other pets that would make him feel threatened? Did your vet check him for a urinary tract infection? Usually with cats that have litter box issues, especially males, I first suggest getting them medically cleared. Sounds like you are in contact with a vet though, so you may have already done that.

Other things I can think of is changing up the type of litter box. Make it huge. Rubbermaid containers with a hole cut in one side are great for this. Sometimes male cats like higher walls to pee against.

Some people swear the feline pheromone plug ins work wonders. I'm not so sure I swear by them quite as much, but it may be worth a try.

There's an awesome behaviorist at the vet school I attend who does phone consultations and if you are truly at your wits end, she may be worth giving a call. I learned so much from her. Her name is Dr. Perry. Consults can be expensive, but many people feel it is worth it, especially if the only other option is keeping them outdoors, giving the pet up, or euthanasia.

Here is the website: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/hospital/Services/Companion/Behavior/

Last edited:
have you had his feet xrayed and checked for issues? Sore feet, ingrown or broken claws, etc can all impact a cat's willingness to scratch in litter.

Thank you both for replying

Yes I do have 2 other cats at home, but they are both his buddys. I will check his feet out! But I find it strange that he has NEVER wanted to use the litter box. So I really dont think it s a medical issues. I have talked to my vet Who believes hes stressed. Im not sure how tho. Drake likes to compulsively lick at his belly and legs making the fur fall out because of all the licking. Its a sign of stress. I dont know what to do about it.
Thank you both for all the thoughts!

Hmm, the fur licking is often a sign of pain or allergy in cats. It's actually more rare that fur-mowing (the term vet dermatologists use) is psychological in nature. At the very least, I would just have him cleared for a UTI. Then you can work on other options.

If you have other cats, I would have at least a litter box for each cat plus one or two. Cats are very good at bullying other cats out of the litter box without the owner knowing.

Last edited:
My vet tried to put my cat on some sort of 'downers' when she started tearing off the hair on her belly and down the insides of all her legs. The second opinion vet found fleas on her. He put flea drops on her neck, in a week I could see the hair growing back! Guess who my vet is now????

Yes we have lots of litter boxes and none of the cats have fleas. Drake is often first to finish his food and then pushes the other cats out of their food bowls and tries to eat theirs. the cats dont do anything, so I don't think Drake is being bullied. One of my cats goes out side all day long and the other I would say is least dominate of all of them.
I dont think its medical, because he has never wanted to use the litter box. Its not like he ever stopped using it. :(

Licking his bladder area and not using the litter box could indicate a urinary tract problem. If not an infection maybe a blockage or something. I could be that he has crystals forming in his bladder. Did you get bloodwork done? I know its expensive but it will solve your problems. My cat was acting sick and I got a full health background check done. He was diagnosed with FIV and is now an indoor only cat but at least I know what is and isnt wrong with him. If you apply for pet insurance it will help with your vet bills.

Back
Top Bottom