Little bantam BROKEN TOE??? <<<PICS>>>

Reurra

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Nova Scotia
I got some bantams today, one of them "crawled" out of the carrier and sat in the corner when i brought her home.

Im not sure whats going on with her, but the guy I got her from i noticed was a little rough with her and all his birds. I bought her from a breeder at a show, he had several bantams in the show. He wsa looking over his birds and flipping them on their back as he inspected them for any abnormalities on the legs.

When I went to purchase 2 bantams (All the birds inside for sale at the show were required to be vaccinated for all illnesses) he grabbed both my birds out and plunked them in my arms before I could pay him, so I handed them back and he took them again, holding them by the legs in one hand with the heads tucked under his armpit. I paid him, took the birds again and put them in my carrier. It took about 2 hours to get home.

In that time, Im not sure if the hen injured her leg herself, or if it was the breeder or me putting her in the carrier.

Now she has her tail down, leans to the right leg and has the left leg raised up into her chest like it hurts to even lean on it. Im not completely sure what to do. I tried to check for dislocation in the hip but could not feel anything because she would flap every time I tried to handle her. Im sure some of it might be pain and some from being imbalanced.

Anyone have experience with this?

She does have a red aluminum band on her wing...not sure what it means.

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether it is dislocated, or injured in some other way. Chicken legs are rather strong, and many people handle them by their legs, flip them over, etc. They are not as weak as duck legs. However, they can still get injured.

I'd isolate the injured hen in a dog crate/pen with a thick layer of bedding and no roost. Give her vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics. You can get special poultry vitamins, or just get some Poly Vi Sol infant vitamins from a supermarket. Let her rest for a few weeks, and see if she gets better. Often times, leg injuries just need time to heal.

Last edited:
Im hoping its only a sprain. Poor little thing is so cute and so pretty, I would hate anything bad to happen to her. Perhaps I'll house her roo with her too.

Here is a picture of her poop. I think she might have a broken toe, her middle toe on her left foot is swollen and greenish. It wasnt that way last night because I inspected her food because of her being tender on it.

I dont know if that would make her go tail down though.

yea cutting her nails would straighten up quite a bit. The nail doesn't bend like a toe will so which ever way it is curving to the toe has no choice but to follow. I've even seen dogs that had nails so long it causes their toes to curl sideways like that. It is most likely very uncomfortable as well.

Im worried about cutting the nails because of her toe. I bought her last Saturday. Im starting to suspect its actually egg binding. I think she didnt like being moved from her coop.

She has tail down, feathers falling out, waddles like a duck when she walks and her wing tips down.

Should I use nail clippers or scissors on her toes?

Last edited:
I don't know if it applies to chickens but years ago my cousin grew her nails rather ridiculously long and she said they hurt when she bumped them on things. I wonder if her toes are hurting her when she tries to walk because those are dreadfully long nails.

I would get someone to help you. Wrap her in a towel to stop her flapping and use a pair of dig nail clippers.

Look carefully at the nail. There will be a sort of vein running inside. You need to not cut that or it will bleed so if in doubt just start off slow and do lots of small trims rather than one big one.

Even with the worry of a damaged toe I think I would still try and gently trim it as its making her hold the toe at an odd angle which is probably causing more long term pain than that you may cause trimming and once you are done she should hopefully be in less pain.

It makes you wonder where he had them that she never walked around enough for them to wear down naturally. She may not have been able to walk enough to feel the painful toenails so is now miserable because she can walk and is feeling it.

Actually I'd even try giving her a really low perch so the feet are off the floor and out of that unnatural angle and see if that makes her happier.

Last edited:
I think she lived her life in a wire cage, never on a real floor. He is a breeder, so I dont think his biggest concern is with proper housing. Im going to try your suggestions either tonight or in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom