Silkie Chick With Leg Abnormality - maybe slipped tendon??

NikitaChakita

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2023
I brought 5 chicks home, 2 of them silkies. When I put the little guys into their brooder I noticed right away that one of the silkies was moving around pretty erratically. After doing some googling I assume its a slipped tendon (?), I have also read that it could be a bone deformity that she was born with and i'm not sure if its possible to tell the difference... and ALSO she was in a small carrier box with 4 other chicks for a long drive home so I wonder if it could be an injury as well. When reading about the slipped tendon I saw that you wanted to extend the leg and try to push the tendon back into place... with my little bird her joint was already swollen when I was first noticing it and I cant feel any kind of change or tendon moving when I straighten her leg... so im not sure if i dont feel a tendon move because of the swelling or because its a separate issue. i tried wrapping it but dont actually know if that would do any good when i dont really even know if its a tendon issue/if it is i dont think i successfully move it back into place.. I made her a little chick chair but havent been able to figure out how to keep her from wiggling her way out of it. I'm pretty much at a point where i feel like im stressing her out while not actually doing her any good but am very open to any suggestions!!! Last year we got two silkie chicks and one had wry neck, and this year we end up with a leg issue, (our silkie last year came out of it happy and healthy thanks to advice i got form this forum, so cool to see people care enough to help each other out) i'm not sure if silkies have more issues to begin with or if im just unlucky :(

this is her when she first got home - she was holding herself up on her good leg at first and now mostly sits unless she wants to get somewhre then she bounces on one leg mostly.

Last edited:
Wrapping the legs can sometimes cause more damage due to it getting too tight and interrupting circulation. Have you started some vitamins including B2 riboflavin, or human B complex? I would try the B complex 1/4 tablet a day or other vitamins. It can be difficult to know which it is (slipped tendon or leg bone deformity.) Either one is almost impossible to help. Sometimes letting them try and get to their food and water will strengthen the legs. Many of these chicks may eventually need to be put down or may starve. A hanging sock can be a good chick chair, and I have seen them made from cups and oats containers. Try to attach little food and water containers if possible. Here is a good link about trying to reposition a slipped tendon:
https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...u-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html

Wrapping the legs can sometimes cause more damage due to it getting too tight and interrupting circulation. Have you started some vitamins including B2 riboflavin, or human B complex? I would try the B complex 1/4 tablet a day or other vitamins. It can be difficult to know which it is (slipped tendon or leg bone deformity.) Either one is almost impossible to help. Sometimes letting them try and get to their food and water will strengthen the legs. Many of these chicks may eventually need to be put down or may starve. A hanging sock can be a good chick chair, and I have seen them made from cups and oats containers. Try to attach little food and water containers if possible. Here is a good link about trying to reposition a slipped tendon:
https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...u-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html
I haven't started her on vitamins but I will certainly do that, and try to get a better chick chair set up. Thank you for the guidance!!!

Back
Top Bottom