Baby chick has slipped tendon, leg is swollen but zero wounds

Nikkieschultz

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2024
I bought baby chicks yesterday, and they had one that wasn't walking right. I didn't want it to die or be left because nobody would purchase it so I brought it home also. I did a lot of research and discovered it's tendon did slip. We were able to shift it back in place and make a little "cast/splint" for the night. We had it on her for maybe 6 hours and took it off once we noticed swelling. We thought it was tight enough to do the job, but not too tight. But we were wrong. There is no temperature difference between her legs and feet but he leg is swollen. The bandage has been off for about 2.5-3 hours. How long should it take for the swelling to go completely down? I just don't know what to do but I really don't want this chick to die. I haven't been able to see if the tendon is still in place, I don't want to hurt or stress her out anymore because I'm sure the swelling doesn't feel good. She is eating and drinking like normal and using the ledge of the feeder as a support to lay on while sleeping so she can stay off of her leg. I'm just so nervous and worried and I don't know what I'm doing. I just couldn't leave her there when I heard them say "if she survives." It broke my heart.

I bought baby chicks yesterday, and they had one that wasn't walking right. I didn't want it to die or be left because nobody would purchase it so I brought it home also. I did a lot of research and discovered it's tendon did slip. We were able to shift it back in place and make a little "cast/splint" for the night. I just don't know what to do but I really don't want this chick to die. I haven't been able to see if the tendon is still in place, I don't want to hurt or stress her out anymore because I'm sure the swelling doesn't feel good. She is eating and drinking like normal and using the ledge of the feeder as a support to lay on while sleeping so she can stay off of her leg. I'm just so nervous and worried and I don't know what I'm doing. I just couldn't leave her there when I heard them say "if she survives." It broke my heart.

1) Unsure of type of chicken, was given what they called a barnyard mix. Was given several chickens from different hatches, she is no smaller or bigger in size or weight compared to the few we got from her hatchling batch. We were told she was roughly 1-1.5 weeks

2) What is the behavior, exactly?

Tendon slipped, she wasn't putting any weight on it at all and just holding it up (like a flamingo). After research we were able to put the tendon back in place but it continued to slip. We made a little cast/stint to hold the tendon in place. We had it on her for maybe 6 hours and took it off once we noticed swelling. We thought it was tight enough to do the job, but not too tight. But we were wrong. There is no temperature difference between her legs and feet but the leg and foot is swollen. The bandage has been off for about 2.5-3 hours, we havent checked to see if the tendon is still in place, we dont want to hurt or stress her while its swollem. How long should it take for the swelling to go completely down?

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 days not walking on it, swelling only started late last night/early this morning after wrapping so I am positive it was just too tight.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No, she was the only injured bird.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No bleeding. Just swollen leg from wrapping and the slipped tendon causing her to not use the leg. After having it wrapped though it does look like there's a red spot on the bottom of that foot.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Unsure, she was like that when I purchased her. I was told the bigger chickens may have trampled over her. I don't know why the small ones were placed with baby chicks twice and three times their size, seems reckless to me.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Eating and drinking normally, just like the other little chicks.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop looks normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Just the little wrap casting that I removed. She is alone in her own container so the other birds aren't jumping and running over her.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? If possible i would like to treat myself. I honestly could afford the vet bill since the only vets here that could help are "exotic vets" that charge hundreds of dollars.

Attachments

• 17113024000042067754003767167656.jpg
    17113024000042067754003767167656.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 31
  • 17113024659383212473432706478647.jpg
    17113024659383212473432706478647.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 11
  • 17113025161922865676577993006127.jpg
    17113025161922865676577993006127.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240324_115944.jpg
    20240324_115944.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
oh my goodness my heart is breaking over this now what a sweet sad story for you to just rescue this little baby. I wish I knew what to tell you but I dont however I do know people who can and I might find links to other posts and articles on this site that will also help. hang in there! :love

Just wanted to give a little update. The swelling has gone down drastically, but there is still a little. She is putting a little but of weight on it here and there but still trying to avoid using it when walking. She is now laying down and sleeping like the other chicks instead of propping herself onto the food dispenser and I've noticed her stretching it in and out more often instead of holding it stationary. She is still eating, drinking, and using the restroom well, and i am not having to move her back and forth between food and water dishes anymore. She's not at 100% but she is a lot better than she was a few days ago. Now my onky worry is that all of the other chicks have feathered out but she has not. Should i be worried, or is she just a little delayed because of the injury?
1000015400.jpg
1000015401.jpg

You probably have a failure-to-thrive chick (FTT). I doubt the leg injury has caused it to be behind in development. What you can do is feed this chick some high grade protein each day. It's okay to let the other chicks eat it, too, as it will encourage this chick to compete for the food. Minced tofu, minced boiled egg, strained baby meats from the baby food aisle. Do this for one week. Also, get some Poultry Nutri-drench and put it in the water for one week.

You probably have a failure-to-thrive chick (FTT). I doubt the leg injury has caused it to be behind in development. What you can do is feed this chick some high grade protein each day. It's okay to let the other chicks eat it, too, as it will encourage this chick to compete for the food. Minced tofu, minced boiled egg, strained baby meats from the baby food aisle. Do this for one week. Also, get some Poultry Nutri-drench and put it in the water for one week.
Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to try this

Welcome To BYC

Can you tell if the tendon is staying in place? Perhaps so if she's not propping up like she was.

I'd follow the suggestions from @azygous and see how it goes. Cute little chick, I hope she improves.

Back
Top Bottom