Slipped Tendon or Trauma? Need Advice on my Duck

Important Question: How can I tell if she is in pain when she walks or if it’s just a gimpy leg?
In theory I know I can measure her heart rate at different times of the day and compare it to the other ducks. I know pain results in an increased heart rate so that’s one method. In my experience I know that exotics and birds will stop eating and lose weight when something is wrong but she still eats, plays, and is up to almost 1600g.

When she walks it’s almost like the bone rotates around the joint and shifts in an out of place with a pop. She will stretch the leg straight behind her and it shifts slightly into a different position. She used it to scratch her face and propel herself into the pool off of the rock ramp.

The only thing that still concerns me is that some days particularly at night the hock of the injured leg will feel warmer than the other leg indicating inflammation. If she needs to be on anti inflammatories long term she can but I don’t want to put that much pressure on her liver and kidneys.

I really would appreciate any input from you guys for now but I will try to update the thread every couple months from now on mainly because it’s an interesting case.
IMG_2006.jpeg
IMG_2008.jpeg

IMG_2004.jpeg

How is she? I don't have much advice, but I hope she's doing well.
Hey, thanks for checking it! Excuse the mess, these pics were taken before I added fresh bedding for the week. I can get a close up on her leg tonight. It ended up bowing more to some degree but it is fine. It is not inflamed or infected but she does hobble around with it. Other than that she is a healthy duck who lays blue eggs! I’ll try to get a pic of her leg soon.

Edit: here are some pics of how it bowed. Unfortunately when she does walk it puts pressure on only one side of her foot/toe. I wish I could get some sort of water proof shoe to help her so it doesn’t get as sore.

Attachments

• IMG_3903.png
    IMG_3903.png
    3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3902.png
    IMG_3902.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3905.jpeg
    IMG_3905.jpeg
    539.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3906.jpeg
    IMG_3906.jpeg
    569.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3907.jpeg
    IMG_3907.jpeg
    590.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Update: After discussing older radiographs with another doctor I learned that in addition to the tibiotarsus fracture there was a fracture on the growth plate. This meant that when the legs continued to grow, the pressure placed on the plate grew as well causing it to shift and eventually callus and heal in its own special way. If I could find some sort of silicone shoe for her to help prevent pressure sores then I think she will be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom