little brown spots on egg yolk

boykin2010

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 26, 2010
South Georgia
This morning i found out after i cracked open a couple of my eggs, that there was little brown spots in the yolk of the egg. What is this? Is it safe to eat? Could it possibly be something that a pullet laid. I have 2 pullets that are just starting to lay. I also dont have a rooster just 10 hens.

I do believe they are called 'meat' spots. I think it is when the yolk is released from the follicle, some of it breaks off and follows the yolk down the fallopian tube (infundibulum) and gets the rest of the egg put around it. It is safe and she is alright, it will come and go. I expected it to stop as my hens aged, but now that they are starting up again after the winter slow down, I am seeing more of it.

my chickens do that too and it does look kind of unappetizing. i crack them in a bowl first to see if they have them and some of them do and some of them dont. i give the ones that do have meatspots back to the chickens to eat:) they love it

They love eating eggs... But i try not feeding them to the chickens There is nothing worse than a hen who breaks eggs to eat them. Then the nest is a mess as well as if there are anymore eggs in the nest

Last edited:
I have read that you should not feed raw eggs back to the chickens. So the experts say. They say to scramble them and then feed them to them. I do this in a pan of water that way they're not getting salt and butter and Etc. I too get the brown spots I eat them haven't bothered me. But they do love the scrambled eggs just an FYI.

Back
Top Bottom