Little bump on the back, where tail feathers start, and new little feathers are poking out of it?

MamaJillian

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
New York
Hi,
I always find so much useful information here, just when I need it! Hoping you can help me.
I have 10 pullets that I incubated and they are now 7 months old. One of them was scratching and giving her feathers a shake today and I noticed that she had a little white bump on her skin - in the middle of her back where her tail feathers started. I didn't know if it was lice, so I took a close look and it's one solid, smooth bump, not a "bumpy" bump like lice would be. Little feathers were growing from it.
I was curious about it so I picked up another chicken who was nearby and she too has the bump.
So, what is the bump? Is it a pest or is it normal?
Thanks for any help you can give.

Hi Ready,
I had my husband take photos but they are not in focus at all! I tried to Google it and am wondering if it's the oil gland. Does that sit on the back at the base of their body?

Hmm, I'm not 100% sure. I would just say keep a close eye on the chicken and don't attempt to remove it.
idunno.gif

Actually it sounds like you are seeing her oil gland. All birds have a gland at the base of their tail that produces oil. They rub this oil on their feathers. Watch your girls preen and you will notice them always starting in this area.

Back
Top Bottom