Little chicks to sex! Can you help me out?

This is a great tip! Line up potential homes...or make soup! But have a plan! I had a plan for my 1st 6 straight run chicks lol I had homes lined up for 4 possible roo's I was golden! Then all 6 turned out to be roo's, doh. So 2 became someone else's soup (i didn't have the cajones' then :hmm)
Next time...(there is Always a next time with chicks!) Throw an ad up on any local free site (craigslist, facebook...) For exactly that...future homes for roosters (or quicker responses if needed, sell them to a local for meat-many new fellow chicken people get too attached to do so tho!) Just state in the ad they will be from a chick order you are getting and when the Roos are identified they need to go Asap, plenty of people have room for Roo's, I didn't even realize :). Save the email responses...if you have a new roo, call the new family and make pickup arrangements. I get about double the responses I actually need (good thing!)
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I personally find it better to have my cockerel's destiny pre-chosen before I hatch out chicks.  Just sayin'.

This is a great tip! Line up potential homes...or make soup! But have a plan! I had a plan for my 1st 6 straight run chicks lol I had homes lined up for 4 possible roo's I was golden! Then all 6 turned out to be roo's, doh. So 2 became someone else's soup (i didn't have the cajones' then :hmm)
Next time...(there is Always a next time with chicks!) Throw an ad up on any local free site (craigslist, facebook...) For exactly that...future homes for roosters (or quicker responses if needed, sell them to a local for meat-many new fellow chicken people get too attached to do so tho!) Just state in the ad they will be from a chick order you are getting and when the Roos are identified they need to go Asap, plenty of people have room for Roo's, I didn't even realize
smile.png
. Save the email responses...if you have a new roo, call the new family and make pickup arrangements. I get about double the responses I actually need (good thing!)

I absolutely agree with what you are saying here. You have to take ultimate responsibility for them and sometimes that means making tough decisions. With chicks that cannot be sexed until several weeks or months old, I always get double the amount I intend to keep, in case only a couple turn out to be pullets. So there has to be a plan for all those excess boys.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I personally find it better to have my cockerel's destiny pre-chosen before I hatch out chicks.  Just sayin'.

I simply meant that at the age of seven weeks that is a lot of cockerels to have in the one pen. I am residential and I am not irresponsible, I have severel places being available to take them - one being food for eagle rescue. there is no waybi can hand raise an animal and eat it. I was stating it would be unfortunate if I had more % than pullets that's all.

I understand. My last hatch was 10 chicks and 8 were cockerels. I'd like to sometimes get one the other way around.
big_smile.png

I've had many hatches like that also. However my broodies have outdone me - 7 chicks, 7 cockerels. They're fired for the season.

To the OP - I hope you get a better ratio! Eagle rescue sounds like a great place for your males.

I've had many hatches like that also. However my broodies have outdone me - 7 chicks, 7 cockerels. They're fired for the season.

To the OP - I hope you get a better ratio! Eagle rescue sounds like a great place for your males.

roll.png
My broody hatched some Ameraucana eggs from John Blehm lines that I had shipped--we're 7 out of 9 cockerels in that batch. Why couldn't the Ameraucanas have been mostly pullets, instead of my hatch of barnyard mixes this spring? Sigh. At least those cockerels should be fairly easy to place. They sure don't look like much for eating!

Are you sure it's almost impossible? :( I want to know so I can name them haha not only that but I have a lot of these sex links that are yellow with tan/brown heads. Does anyone have any thoughts or predictions if facts just won't do? I'm up for anything! Also the feather growth in the last "mix bag" of egg I got were that the feather growth was faster in the males. Ended up with only two females. It's that's the case I don't hve good odds. Also found a forum thread on here saying light sussex males were the ones at three weeks with basically no tail and less feathers and showed progress pictures - I now hve three boys and one girl!!!! So upset. There is a ratio happening with feather growth but I have to admit its not looking good if the longer feathered are boys :( take a guess ? I also have an australorp in there you can see which is cross with a New Hampshire hen.

Are you sure it's almost impossible?
sad.png
I want to know so I can name them haha not only that but I have a lot of these sex links that are yellow with tan/brown heads. Does anyone have any thoughts or predictions if facts just won't do? I'm up for anything! Also the feather growth in the last "mix bag" of egg I got were that the feather growth was faster in the males. Ended up with only two females. It's that's the case I don't hve good odds. Also found a forum thread on here saying light sussex males were the ones at three weeks with basically no tail and less feathers and showed progress pictures - I now hve three boys and one girl!!!! So upset. There is a ratio happening with feather growth but I have to admit its not looking good if the longer feathered are boys
sad.png
take a guess ? I also have an australorp in there you can see which is cross with a New Hampshire hen.
With mix breeds it is simple to hard to tell ,you just have to give it time. It is the chance we take when hatching or getting mixed breed chicks.Plenty of neutral names you can give them.

http://www.dogs-day.com/gender-neutral-dog-names/gender-neutral-dog-names-a-z
http://www.babynames1000.com/gender-neutral/

Back
Top Bottom