Little cut on beak

Is she the only youngster with the older hens?
She's getting her beak hung in something.

The latest injury toward the end of the beak, she's bent it or caught it in something.
Have you ever bent your fingernail backward and it left a red/blue mark? That's what it looks like to me.

Observe behaviors and see if she's getting chased or cornered by the older birds, she may be injuring her beak in attempts to hide/get away.
Yes she is the only one in with the big girls. And i’m thinking she got it caught in the chicken wire because we have a pallet in the run that she can hide behind and if the hens chase after her she runs very fast to get behind the pallet.

Yes she is the only one in with the big girls. And i’m thinking she got it caught in the chicken wire because we have a pallet in the run that she can hide behind and if the hens chase after her she runs very fast to get behind the pallet.
When did you add her in? What protocol did you take for integration? Or how did you introduce her to the flock? How many birds are in that run space, and if you have dimensions that could be helpful to.
If the other hens are pecking her back, I'm guessing its a bullying issue. Likely because she's younger, and the only youngster. That wire looks good, but I agree that she could be getting cornered and injuring her beak that way. Hopefully we can find the cause the get her back to normal ASAP!
Ps. I wouldn't' separate her as that would make it even more difficult for her to integrate in with the older hens.

Poor girl. You can treat any open wounds with antibiotic ointment as long as it doesn't have pain relief - might help if things get worse.

I've seen a bruise like that only once and it was from a stuck malposition hatch that couldn't zip. Brushing generally takes a bit if time to show, so if it appeared shortly after the bloodmark, it could be from the same injury.

You say she has a place to run, but was she given a chance to acclimatize to the run before she was put in? She could have misjudged and run into the pallet while fleeing, or hit any number of things in a panic, like those pipe feeders since they protrude.

Integration should never be taken lightly. It takes time and 'observation' above all else. Without a roo, we have to be the ones to break up this sort of fighting, especially when space is limited.

When did you add her in? What protocol did you take for integration? Or how did you introduce her to the flock? How many birds are in that run space, and if you have dimensions that could be helpful to.
If the other hens are pecking her back, I'm guessing its a bullying issue. Likely because she's younger, and the only youngster. That wire looks good, but I agree that she could be getting cornered and injuring her beak that way. Hopefully we can find the cause the get her back to normal ASAP!
Ps. I wouldn't' separate her as that would make it even more difficult for her to integrate in with the older hens.
A little background might help. I bought two chicks. I had them in a tote with a heat lamp for 3 weeks. We build a see no touch to put into the coop. They had been in that for about 3-4 weeks. One day i let them out into the run while the others free ranged and the one chick i believe hit its head on one of the support beams in the run and she passed away. So i was left with this Buff Orpington. I was scared she would do the same thing so i held off. With my supervision, at about 8 weeks i let her into the run and there was some chasing and pecking, afraid she would get hurt in the middle of the night, she would go back into the see no touch, but when i was there to supervise she was allowed in the run. A week ago on halloween i let her free range with the hens and they seemed to be fine. I did this a couple times since then and they seem to be fine when they free range (only a little bit of chasing). This sunday night, @Aunt Angus suggested i just put her on the roost when all the other hens went to sleep and that’s what i did. Pop door open so if she needed to get out she could. Monday she seemed fine in the run, and she would go into the coop if needed to get away, monday night i put her onto the roost again. Tuesday same thing, putting her on the roost at night. It seems like i have two bully birds out of the 3 hens i have.

The run is about 12’x5’ and the coop is 4’x5’. Small i know but it’s what i have to work with right now.
The bully birds might be separated if they can’t figure it out in the coming days. I have three feeders and two waterers also.

Poor girl. You can treat any open wounds with antibiotic ointment as long as it doesn't have pain relief - might help if things get worse.

I've seen a bruise like that only once and it was from a stuck malposition hatch that couldn't zip. Brushing generally takes a bit if time to show, so if it appeared shortly after the bloodmark, it could be from the same injury.

You say she has a place to run, but was she given a chance to acclimatize to the run before she was put in? She could have misjudged and run into the pallet while fleeing, or hit any number of things in a panic, like those pipe feeders since they protrude.

Integration should never be taken lightly. It takes time and 'observation' above all else. Without a roo, we have to be the ones to break up this sort of fighting, especially when space is limited.
Yes i’ve let her in the run by herself and one by one with each bird. So she knows the run and the pallet has been in there since i’ve put her in the run by herself. I try to let them jsut work it out but if i hear her squeal, i’ll yell and it usually breaks it up.

Back
Top Bottom