Little Giant 3 gal plastic waterer not siphoning

frenchblackcopper

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 14, 2009
East central Illinois
I have bought two of these,and both waterers seems to have the same problem,,,they do not allow water to siphon into the lower drinking bowl.Each is identical,a 3 gallon capacity white plastic water tank, with a "handle" on the top that can be used to hang the waterer.I at first just set these on some wood blocks,but the next day when I checked the water level, none had been used and the red bottom drinking "bowl" was dry,so I pushed down on the bowl part,so air could get in and then water came into the bowl part. It's kinda like "birping" the bowl,as for some reason on both of these,as water is consumed,it does not drain into the drinking bowl.Then I tried hanging them up,on the idea the weight of the water was making the seal too tight,not allowing it to "birp",,but still the same effect,nothing drains down when the bowl is empty.
Anyone else have this trouble with this waterer? I have 2 of them,that both has this problem,,and if it were 100 degrees out and my birds went all day without a drink,you can imagine the outcome. I think it would be best to shell out $35 for a 5 gal. capacity galvanized waterer,instead of fighting the problem on these $12 ones.

Yep, that is an inherant problem with those waterers. If the lid is on too tight then the water will not come out. If the lid is on too loose then it will all just drain out. There is a sweet spot on them that makes them work just right and it takes some dinkin with it to find out how tight the lid needs to be.

This waterer,,has 4 "lugs" around the bottom lip of the water holding tank,,there is also a corresponding "lug" on the bottom,or drinking part of the waterer,,each one of these "lugs" is about 1/2" each,the bottom part lugs must be turned onto the lugs on the water tank part,,if you don't turn them all the way,it will leak,,this must be a bad design,,,there is no way to partially attach the bottom and top pieces,,my other plastic waterers have a screw on base,,these 2 -3 gallon versions do not.

Ooopps, I see we thought that you were talking about the 3 gal waterers with the screw on lid, they are octagon in shape. Really , you have the dome shape 3 gallon waterer with the wire handle and lug lock base. Made by Miller Manufacturing under the Little Giant name correct? I will have to check one out and see why it might not work. We sell lots of these and have never had a problem with them. Most people will even buy more of them as their flocks grow. There is obviously a flaw in the manufacturing process that is causing your not to work. You could take it back here you bought it and exchange it.

rstampa,,there is no black button on the front of mine,and Pampered Pullet,your correct that is the kind I have.Both of these waterers have done this,,I've tried from just barely attaching the base,to tightening it all the way until the stop hits the lug,,but nothing works,and if you don't tighten far enough when you turn it over,the bottom comes off and you must refill it again.Something so simple,,that is worthless,,I first thought it must hang all the time to work correctly,believing the weight of the water on the base caused the fit to be too tight,so i then hung it from a rafter,,same problem,,,full of water the next night,,,

we have one of these waterers. Ours is white with a red base & a metal handle. We paid 39.95 for it. We tried to return it but was unsuccessful.

WE have tinkered with it so mant times, trying to get it just right for the water to flow. We would really like to kick ours to kingdom come, but the metal ones here are 79.95.

For now my husband, puts a small piece of wood under one side, but we continuously have to keep a check. These should be taken of the market!

Countrygirl,,,I can buy a 5 gallon galvanized metal waterer for $32.00 here,,,the plastic one I have,is as you described,but it only costs me about $12.00,,,but you can buy a heated base model that won't freeze in the wintertime,,those sells for about $39.95,,,,same name brand,ect! You just plug in an extension cord into the bottom of the base,and it is only suppose to heat,or turn on as needed,,,,there has to be another maker of these,that has a model that works,,,,

Back
Top Bottom