Little Giant Hatch Along

The LG thermometers are worse than worthless. I took them out and went with my digital therm/hygrometer. Had a great hatch rate for shipped eggs. I trusted the digital because it's readings agreed with how the eggs felt, if you know what I mean.
I had a broody last summer, and when I pulled her off once a day to eat I would reach in once in a while and feel the eggs. They felt pleasantly warm. My LG therms were reading 3 degrees higher than the digital, but when they said the temp was perfect the eggs didn't feel warm enough to me. So I went with the digital and had a 66% hatch rate, my first time, with shipped eggs, in a universally excoriated incubator.

So today is day 7, I have candled all but 6 of my 25 or so eggs...I only had 1 blood ring so far, and 1 total clear egg. I had 2 with definite MOVEMENT
woot.gif
and the rest had veining but i had a hard time finding a moving embryo....Is that ok at this stage in the game? Or should I consider those most likely are not developing? I was thrilled to see the 2 moving, but id be even more thrilled to know the others have a chance too! Thanks for any input!

I agree. I wasted 82 eggs, a LOT of patience, and 6 weeks before I realized that my thermometer was junk. But the one that came with the turner works great.

Quote:
I like the tube thermometers best I know you cant see them in my picture but they are in there i have 2 in each incubator ( fish aquarium thermometers )

I have had the best hatch rates with them.

How often do you add water...day 6 ..LG/egg turner/fan....stable temps from day l....99.5 Humidity 38-40...started with water filled troughs...added on day 4 (1/2 cup water but a lot spilled out, cannot see trough..will take an egg out next time IF I have to addwater..) so my question is ..temps stable do I have to add water....? Help No red plugs in EVER

OMG- Can I please Join? I set 26 eggs on 3/31 and I am not getting the greatest reaction to using a LG still air and its becoming very discouraing and I am only on day 3 :-(

eggsinside001.jpg

I have lots of temp issues but thankfully I work from home and I get to watch my incubator like a crazy hawk!!! I have 5 thremomters but have got down to using 2 of the most reliable. One that came with the turner, not the incubator. And a digital accubrite with the sensor dropped down the red vent plug. I have very, very exspensive eggs inside so I am worrying myself to death esp with all the bad comments/reviews I have been told or read on this forum.

I am hatching Welssumers, Americauna and Black and Blue copper marans.

Also I am trying to do a dry incubation. I put a small amount of water in the center ring but not the other two before I read about dry incubation a few hours later. I have not added any water since and there seems to be some inside. My humidity is a steady 35-37% every day. Thats okay right? How low can my humidity be before I add more water? I think I read below 30. So I will leave it alone for now which is great because then I never have to open the incubator. I will likely not candle until day 7-10 because I have dark eggs. I assume once I go into lockdown I will put the two red plugs back in and put more water in and just hope in increases to 60%.

Also....The humidity in my room is a constant 50-55% and I think I read that if you have a steady 50-55% you may never need to add water till lock down. Any advice or reassurance on what I have read? My temps are at 101 right now.

Hey there everyone, my first time on the LG hatch along. I have used an LG for 2 seasons now and absolutely love it. I also have a Hovababor and a sportsman cabinet. The LG works great with a turner for my pheasant and Guinea eggs. I currently am using it with the turner for Bantam eggs. I have already hatched 50 different breeds of bantams with it. I always tell people who knock the styrofoam bators that what doesn't work for one person may work great for another. For me, they all seem to work very well.
jumpy.gif

Quote:
When I add water I take the turner and eggs out, about every week or so.

I never take the egg turner out.....I use a measuring cup with a pointy spout and pour it in at the side. I am not so worrind about humidity right now...not until lockdown and then I will put in sponges and papertowels

Back
Top Bottom