Little Giant Hatch Along

I've got three Lavender Orpingtons and four Ameraucanas out. I lost a couple of Orps to shrink-wrapping in their shells without even pipping, the shell were porous.
hit.gif
I figured out what was happening in time to save the others, at least.

IMG_0167.JPG

Great, day 20 and now im home all day, too wet to do anything in the fields at the farm. Checking them every 5 minutes, its killing me!

Quote:
Welcome, welcome to my world the last two days! It is now the middle of day 21 and they are still pipping and hatching.

I guess now is the time to confess that I have hatched these without a hygrometer (seems like that should be hydrometer). I bought one and tried to calibrate it....nothing! As long as there has been a very small amount of condensation on the windows I have felt like we are okay. No problems with the chicks and we are over half finished now. And I don't help the chicks unless they get turned upside down while trying to learn to walk. Figure they know more than me. Besides, eggs have hatched for millions of years without me.

Enjoy your day. I did the exact same thing....back and forth to the incubator! And keep us posted!

This is so exciting! Congrats to all on their little peepers so far! (Cute chick -YoungBiddy)
I joined the hatch-a-long, but haven't been keeping up
hide.gif
. I went on lockdown yesterday and am trying "ChooksChicks" dry method. (dry until day 18 when you bring the humidity up to 75%-anyone else trying this?).
I have 35 (?) eggs laying on the rack and papertowels loaded/stuffed into water trays and one papertowel laying on the rack to soak up the water from the towels underneath. I also have the wire propped up on egg cartons so that the eggs are pretty much where they were in the egg turner (think that was my downfall on previous hatches).

I think that I will have to add a sponge though to get the humidity up where it needs to be. I'm at 60% and haven't opened the top OR the see through plastic pieces and still just need a bit more humidity. I've been using a syringe and a bendy straw inserted through the vent holes on top to add my water (bendy part at the bottom to direct the water where you want it to go).

Getting another incubator that I lent to a relative months ago to place the chicks in as they hatch so they don't roll the others around and totally screw up their positioning. Hoping that will help too!

Good luck to everyone who is still hatching and
fl.gif
that everyone's chicks that have hatched continue to stay healthy and strong!

Will update with new info.....
jumpy.gif

How are you all doing?

Hope everything is going good, will continue watching this thread. I beleive out of the 17 eggs we had we are done with 10 of them hatched. So that was pretty good for a first timer. I was such a wonderful experience.
jumpy.gif
thumbsup.gif

I need little giant help. I have 3 incubators going (2 hovabators). One hovabator is alone, but the other sits right beside the LG. Our house temp. flucuates, and is generally in the 60s. The problem is that I can't get consistent temps. in the LG. Ihave lost goose eggs and ducks, too. I'd assume it was something I'm doing, but the Hovabator beside the LG is doing a good job. Any special instructions or any ideas at all? I figured you guys would be the ones to ask!

Back
Top Bottom