Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
I have not started my first batch. But I have the 9300 with the auto turner. I plan on starting my first batch sometimelater this week. I appreciate reading all of this because I hope it helps me for a successful hatch.

I just got a 9300 Still Air Little Giant Incubator and am trying it out with 3 eggs! We're on day 2!
thumbsup.gif

Well my first hatch in the 9300 went to chicken poop real fast i think i cooked them out of 19 i have 3 that are going now worst hatch ever i went ahead and ordered the fan and a calibrated thermometer tonight if that doesent work i dont no what will...

I am jumping in a little late on this thread, but it is what I was looking for. I have the little giant still are incubator from TS and get a consistent 75% to 80% hatch rate including the few I loose when candling. The last hatch I lost 2 during candling 3 lost that pipped but did not hatch 3 that never pipped and 2 died after hatch that I helped out of shell. I try to keep temp between 98.5 and 99.5 with about 50% humidity until day 18 and then increase to about 65%. I was wondering if I added a fan to incubator if it would increase hatch rate.

I am jumping in a little late on this thread, but it is what I was looking for. I have the little giant still are incubator from TS and get a consistent 75% to 80% hatch rate including the few I loose when candling. The last hatch I lost 2 during candling 3 lost that pipped but did not hatch 3 that never pipped and 2 died after hatch that I helped out of shell. I try to keep temp between 98.5 and 99.5 with about 50% humidity until day 18 and then increase to about 65%. I was wondering if I added a fan to incubator if it would increase hatch rate.
If you are running a still air at those temps, you are doing good getting that kind of hatch rate. A still air is recommended at 101-102F taken near the top of the eggs. I would also recommend considering doing a "dry incubation" and checking your air cells for a guidline as when to increase your humidity. I feel 50% is high for the first 17 days. More and more hatchers, especially of the styro bators are using the dry method and finding they are having better hatch rates. A fan is definitely a good thing to add. If you do, 99.5 is the recommended temp.

I forgot to mention that I was using two thermometers. The one that was supplied with the incubator reads 104 while the other reads an average of 99. I was hoping that the true temp was around 101. I let the 99 average thermometer jump to 100-101 on a previous hatch and only got about a 40% hatch rate. I may try the dry method on next incubation.

I forgot to mention that I was using two thermometers. The one that was supplied with the incubator reads 104 while the other reads an average of 99. I was hoping that the true temp was around 101. I let the 99 average thermometer jump to 100-101 on a previous hatch and only got about a 40% hatch rate. I may try the dry method on next incubation.
Do you have a mercury/glass thermometer you could do the ice test with for accuracy and then compare it to your digital to see what the difference is?

Back
Top Bottom