Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
This thread to promote the LG is running off the rails...
I think you would be happier with a Hovabator, but for just a little more you could get the Brinsea 20 Eco
wink.png

I'm looking at the hovabator and the farm innovattors pro. I really like the hovabator with the "picture window" top.
So far, both my 9200 and 9300 are holding steady.
fl.gif
they stay that way!
DON"T SAY THAT OUTLOUD!!! lol I said that out loud here and have been having problems ever since. SMH.

I didn't create this thread to "promote the LG", I did it to test which model works best for me. Because I have both units but I don't know which one I will primarily use. I've been able to get great hatches off of the 9200, and expect the same from the 9300. Just because you had a bad experience, that does not make these units terrible. By all means, get a brinsea; you might need that kidney later on though.
wink.png

Maybe you could attach it to a stress ball? That should fit in your turner, good luck!
My 9200 has been good...up till this point. But it's old and these are not known for longevity. I know w/o a doubt what my problem is stemming from. The right side of my heating element is running 1-2 degrees hotter than the left. If I turn the top around so that side is on the opposite side the that side is hotter. It's just time to retire it.

I just ordered and received a Brinsea Spot Check thermometer and it appears to be perfect! Now to find a way to elevate it to top-of-the-egg level, without laying it on the eggs (instructions say not to let it touch the eggs) Anyone had any luck with any supports of any kind? I'm thinking of looking for a plastic ball or something at the dollar store that will fit in the turner, and maybe I can cut a slot in it to hold the probe at the right height.
I have mine taped to the outside window of the incubator. The probe is fed through one of the small vent holes, with the cord taped to the other window to keep the probe at egg level (I hope that makes sense). The actual thermometer where the temperature is displayed isn't in the 'bator. I love my Spot Check too. I'm going to order another one so I have one for each of my 'bators.

I calibrated my mercury thermometer that was supplied with the 9200 little giant using ice water this morning and it read 35 degrees. I have a batch of eggs in right now with that thermometer reading 104 and the digital I have reading 98 degrees. I hope between the two the actual temp is around 100 to 101. That is where I will keep it during this incubation period and see what happens. I have constantly gotten about a 75% hatch rate with this unit. hoping to get up to 80 to 85%.

I didn't create this thread to "promote the LG", I did it to test which model works best for me. Because I have both units but I don't know which one I will primarily use. I've been able to get great hatches off of the 9200, and expect the same from the 9300. Just because you had a bad experience, that does not make these units terrible. By all means, get a brinsea; you might need that kidney later on though.
wink.png
Promote wasn't the right word, I didn't mean to insult. I think this thread is a great idea, and it seems to be proving the 9200 is more stable than the 9300. I'm really looking forward to your results.
BTW, I really do miss that kidney...

I calibrated my mercury thermometer that was supplied with the 9200 little giant using ice water this morning and it read 35 degrees. I have a batch of eggs in right now with that thermometer reading 104 and the digital I have reading 98 degrees. I hope between the two the actual temp is around 100 to 101. That is where I will keep it during this incubation period and see what happens. I have constantly gotten about a 75% hatch rate with this unit. hoping to get up to 80 to 85%.
IF the mercury is reading 3 degrees high in the ice water check and running 104 in the bator, I would think taht the accurate temp should be abt 101.

So our weather today is rainy. I check my 9300 and the built in hydrometer reads 55% but the seperate hydrometer reads 40%. I have no water at all in the bator. My built in thermometer says 101.3 but my seperate one says 100. So I am triple checking with a meat thermometer I stuck in one the holes lol. I just want to make sure I'm good brfore I place my eggs.

I have mine taped to the outside window of the incubator. The probe is fed through one of the small vent holes, with the cord taped to the other window to keep the probe at egg level (I hope that makes sense). The actual thermometer where the temperature is displayed isn't in the 'bator. I love my Spot Check too. I'm going to order another one so I have one for each of my 'bators.

Makes sense. Might work well for me, since it has plenty long cord. Thanks!

@cluckcluckgirl I am getting 6+ BCM eggs and 6+ Isbar eggs. The isbars are coming from texas and the marans from about 4 hours from me. Cheaper to ship than to drive.
Nice. I had a BCM once, but she drowned shortly after I got her. Good luck with the hatch! I've had to add a couple more eggs due to demand for chicks from a friend. Luckily the eggs haven't been in that long, but now I've got a total of 7 eggs in there. I cracked a couple eggs from my Australorps and Amber Stars and they were fertile.
fl.gif
The Australorp and Amber Star eggs are all but 1 egg that's in there.

Well over 100, how high?

It was around the 105 mark for quite awhile. I was trying and trying to adjust it down but I think a little too late. I woke up this morning and the mercury thermometer was reading 88. Than to try to raise it again. This afternoon at the turning cycle, mist and cool time it was still reading 88. So now I have raised the temp again. And I received my other thermometers in the mail I placed that in there too. It reads 93.8 degrees and 86% humidity.

In other news my Farm innovators one is reading 101 degrees in with the lavenders and 41% humidity. Should I do anything to adjust it?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom