Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
I have a question- are the chicks supposed to absorb the yoke completely prior to making that external pip or is the yoke slowly absorbed while they are working on breaking out?

Michele

The yolk starts drawing into the abdomen on day 19, and should finish by day 20, and the pip should happen at around the same time. That said, I've had chicks pip externally with the yolk still partially out (usually a pea size or small marble size blob), and I've had chicks die in the shell with no external pip with the yolk fully absorbed.

The yolk starts drawing into the abdomen on day 19, and should finish by day 20, and the pip should happen at around the same time. That said, I've had chicks pip externally with the yolk still partially out (usually a pea size or small marble size blob), and I've had chicks die in the shell with no external pip with the yolk fully absorbed.
x2 Yup yup and yup

Mine were on day 18 and yolks were not absorbed yet. It leads me to believe that there must have been a temp spike or something I missed for them all to die at the exact same time frame. Does not make sense.

Thank you... day 20 no pip on my BCM eggs.......- I've only had one chick in a shell that had completely absorb it's yoke ( in Mach) ... the rest of the eggs (March - Current) had a substantial amount of yoke with out any internal pip.

Well its a sad day...out of my 6 banty eggs that hatched I only have one left, I don't know what's going on with them they just keep suddenly dying..had them on medicated chick starter, the game chicks I have, I haven't lost any of them, any ideas what's going on? I checked them regular for pasty butt and all was clean

I just had to cull one of my chicks :hit
Against my better judgement, I helped it out of the shell. It had zipped about halfway around and got stuck. I could see the feathers dried to a bit of membrane where it had pipped. I wasn't really prepared for what was inside that egg. When I got the top off, it was immediately evident that it wasn't right, not normal. The first thing I noticed was the SMELL. Oh the smell, just awful. It was covered in a brownish, thick jelly instead of the normal looking fluid. It was STICKY. When I touched my fingers together, they literally stuck like I had glue on them. When I got it out, it had a large fluid filled sac on its neck (at first I thought it hadn't absorbed its yolk, it was yellow). Its neck was kind of crooked too. So, it left this world as quickly as it entered it. It may have survived, maybe I could've drained the fluid off its neck and hoped it lived a semi normal life, but I did what I thought was best. When I sat it in the 'bator to contemplate whether or not I wanted to try to save it, the other chicks immediately started pecking it. Pulling it around by its toes. That was it, that told me that ending it quickly was the best.
I feel just horrible. If I'd have left it, it would've died. I would've tossed that egg and never known. It wouldn't have looked at me while I was ending its life :/ I HATE having to do that. Dread it.

Now I'm having a beer. I have one more egg left in the incubator. I'm a little worried that one is going to have problems too, after all that, so I absolutely will not help it. No way, never again, theres a reason I don't do it and I got a stern reminder why tonight.
I'm ready to clean the hatcher out, its pretty smelly in there. But, my husband has convinced me that I should go ahead and start another round of eggs (enabler), so the 9300 is still out and I'm gathering another clutch :oops:

Last edited:
I am SO sorry about your little guy... I can relate .. somewhat - as I have felt like a mass murderer for the last two months without one of my chicks making it out of the shell.... Hugs to you!

I am going to follow up the previous sad post with a happier one.... drum roll please............

I , in semi - sound mind , am here to tell you that I have Pips!!!! {insert crowd roar}
ya.gif

5 of my eggs have really GOOD pips! I am on pins and Needles... the kids are going crazy bouncy off the walls!

" Mommy didn't kill the eggs this time!" Cheers and songs are being sung around the house!

Now.... Here's hoping that one actually comes out of the shell.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom