Little Giant Incubator Tricks

Pics
Quote: What breed are you going to be incubating? I show Heritage RIR and Heritage RC RIW. My avitar is one of my HRIR's.

Here are some of my RC RIW's. I am after a coyote that killed a bunch of my birds. I also had a fox but trapped the fox. I saw the coyote back this evening so will set traps out for it tomorrow.

I can add another predator to the list. Very early this morning I had to get up. I looked out and saw something out in the yard. (We have a yard light which goes on at dusk and off at dawn). At first I thought it might be a big cat. About 4 or 5 weeks ago I forgot to shut the pop door on the chick coop. When I went out in the morning to make my rounds, I found 14 dead 6 to 8 week old chicks. Still not sure what killed them as I didn't find any digs under the fence. I thought it might have been a cat that went over the fence as cats are good climbers and I had seen a cat around late at night. Well the critter in the yard was a raccoon so I'm thinking the killer was probably a raccoon. I put a trap out very early this morning but I didn't catch it. Maybe it will be back tonight.

I cant find the plastic liner for the incubator. What about a paint tray liner cut to fit? Would that be ok lined with the plastic shelf liner?

I cant find the plastic liner for the incubator. What about a paint tray liner cut to fit? Would that be ok lined with the plastic shelf liner?

I don't have a liner. Never have. Mine works fine without it. Looks stained and dirty despite careful cleaning. You can check with the company to see if it is required--

What breed are you going to be incubating? I show Heritage RIR and Heritage RC RIW. My avitar is one of my HRIR's. Here are some of my RC RIW's. I am after a coyote that killed a bunch of my birds. I also had a fox but trapped the fox. I saw the coyote back this evening so will set traps out for it tomorrow.
Beautiful birds! Sorry to hear about your predator problems! We've had foxes, skunks, & raccoons. I've seen mountain lion skat around our property & there was recently a bear in the area, but I have seen either of them (yet! Knock on wood!!) the eggs I've got now are Belgian Bearded d'Anvers (quail roo & lavender hen). The eggs I ordered are Jersey Giants. I'd like a good quality roo for breeding purposes & if he's pretty enough, my daughter can show him for 4H. :)

@ CMOM---Nice looking RC RIW! Love the little sunroof-- just the idea I have been looking for.

@ Rickarae---What are you doing to increase the moisture loss?? Also don't toss any eggs yet, too early in the incubtion process.

I've gotten the humidity down to 35%, but had to turn on the swamp cooler again today, which has brought it back up to about 40%. It's in the best room we have for incubating. :/ I already took the other eggs out, I was afraid they would explode. I know for sure 2 of them were goners. We'll see what happens. At this point, I'm using this experience to help with my next hatch. I understand the more eggs the easier it is to keep stable temps, so I think I'll probably gather some eggs from my Brahma hens (& white barred rock roo) and put those in with my Jersey Giants. Hopefully, I have some more bantam eggs, too. That would make my little girl very happy. :)

Quote:
I use mason jars of water to keep the temps stable with just a few eggs. When the incubator is full, not necessary.
big_smile.png
Add a dash of vinegar, fill with warm water, screw on cover and place in LG.

I have never had an egg explode. Read lots of stories, but have always been able to ID a smelly egg and get it removed. Handling a smelly egg is when it is risky--get it into a plastic bag, like an old bread bag and twist the closure asap.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom