Little Giant Incubator Tricks

Pics
My avitar is Serama chicks that were hatched with some BO chicks and RIR chicks. The other chick in my avitar that is looking at the chick in the feed dish is another Serama chick. They were all hatched at the same time.

I meant to say the air cell isn't big enough (which is what I get for "Chicken Facebooking", as my hubby calls it) too early in the morning. That is my concern. I'm just keeping the humidity low & they'll go into lockdown on Monday, 9/16 (I set them on 8/29). I'm just going to stop worrying (HA!) & let nature take its course! I'll keep you posted & let you know my results!!!

I meant to say the air cell isn't big enough (which is what I get for "Chicken Facebooking", as my hubby calls it) too early in the morning. That is my concern. I'm just keeping the humidity low & they'll go into lockdown on Monday, 9/16 (I set them on 8/29). I'm just going to stop worrying (HA!) & let nature take its course! I'll keep you posted & let you know my results!!!
My humidity varies a lot over the 12 months of hte year. In the summer the humidity is the highest, and in the winter the lowest and I need to add water. Do you have a diagram to look at for comparisons?? Ususally the air cell is not big enough at hatching time-- that seems to be the most common problem I see. I run a dry incubator during the summer . . .candling is the only way for me to know how things are progressing.

My temps are pretty stable during the day but spike at night. Running 99-99.5 during the day. Finding temps 101-102.2 during the early AM hours. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? On day 14 and still have good movement in all 8 eggs.

102 is the same temp as a hen, so I don't worry about it. t it cools Be sure to keep turning hte eggs and odd number of times if you are turning by hand.

Can you account for anything that is triggering the spikes??

102 is the same temp as a hen, so I don't worry about it. t it cools Be sure to keep turning hte eggs and odd number of times if you are turning by hand.

Can you account for anything that is triggering the spikes??

Im not sure but im thinking the AC runs less at night and the air in the laundry room gets still. I closed the vents because during the day the LG was going dowm to 98.5ish. With vents closed i get it to 99-99.5. But then im waking up at 2-3am and thats when temps are high. I usually just open an AC vent a little and it will cool down. Im tired of having to get up every night!!!!!

Eggs are on an automatic turner

Last edited:
Quote:
Your goal is to have the vent opened, or at least one at this point. As the hatch progresses these babies need MORE oxygen, and of course need MUCH more at hatch.

You r goal is to have temps be even night and day . . ..

Tour goal is to have a good nights sleep . . . .

Can you keep the laundry room dooor closed 24/7 to keep is consistent, or have it opened during the night and closed during the day?

Your goal is to have the vent opened, or at least one at this point. As the hatch progresses these babies need MORE oxygen, and of course need MUCH more at hatch.

You r goal is to have temps be even night and day . . ..

Tour goal is to have a good nights sleep . . . .

Can you keep the laundry room dooor closed 24/7 to keep is consistent, or have it opened during the night and closed during the day?

Both vents on the bator are open. Theyve been open since day 1. I will try shutting the door. Im sure im worrying way more than necessary!

Quote:
WE all worry-- it keeps us thinking and on our toes. UNtil you prove to yourself it is not an issue, it is an issue. THis is how I learned that the ambient weather would in 2 days effect the LG temps. I could go with the flow, or devise an intervension if the temps swung a lot.

SOrry I thought you mentioned that you closed hte vents to keep the temp stable at 99.5--

WE all worry-- it keeps us thinking and on our toes. UNtil you prove to yourself it is not an issue, it is an issue. THis is how I learned that the ambient weather would in 2 days effect the LG temps. I could go with the flow, or devise an intervension if the temps swung a lot.

SOrry I thought you mentioned that you closed hte vents to keep the temp stable at 99.5--

3 days till lockdown! I think i have my plan set. Still reading as much as I can...just want to be sure! Thanks for all of your help so far.

After candling and seeing movement in all 8 eggs I am telling myself that the fluctuating temps arent as serious as I thought. I just need to get through this week!

Back
Top Bottom