Little Giant Incubator Tricks

Pics
I have been useing a Little Giant now for three years and so far I have never had any issues with temp control as well as humidity ?. I keep it in a room that stays at a consistant temp and I also installed a computor fan in mine and I do use a turner though ..I would be interested in learning more about not useing a turner and not turning eggs ?

I have a small yellow book by Janet Stromberg. A Guide to Better Hathcing. I highly recommend this book for the detail of information, for even us casual hatchers. A hen shifts her eggs 96 times in 24 hours. Egg should be turned a minimum of 3 times a day, preferably 5 times.

A study was already done on "to turn or not to turn". I will see if I can find it. In the mean time, the summary is that turning the first 7 days is critical to obtain high hatch rates, the other two weeks it is not as critical but the hatch rate is more when the eggs are turned.

I have a small yellow book by Janet Stromberg. A Guide to Better Hathcing. I highly recommend this book for the detail of information, for even us casual hatchers. A hen shifts her eggs 96 times in 24 hours. Egg should be turned a minimum of 3 times a day, preferably 5 times.

A study was already done on "to turn or not to turn". I will see if I can find it. In the mean time, the summary is that turning the first 7 days is critical to obtain high hatch rates, the other two weeks it is not as critical but the hatch rate is more when the eggs are turned.
I don't doubt that too be true. As a scientist, I think it would be an interesting experiement however. Of course, I end to think nature has it worked out, so if a hen turns her eggs everytime she wiggles and moves her feet, its hard to imagine success without turning.

Quote:
I already don't hatch 100%, so at this time I'll trust the work of a broody and turn those eggs 5 times a day.
wink.png

What was 62%? Humidity or hatching rate? If it is humidity, is that for lockdown at hatching or the entire incubating RH??

I'm just finishing a batch now. The room was 50-55%RH, inside the incubator was 20-25% RH, and now at lock down it's at 54%.

62% That was my hatch rate! From conversation on turning and humidity. I try to keep my humidity right about 45% until lockdown and then boost it up over 60% but try to keep it under 80%, yikes!

I keep the humidity around 35% during incubation and bring it up to around 75% during lockdown. Since I have been doing my hatching like this my hatch rate has went up.

Quote:
Do you candle to evaluate the air cell development? Some people prefer the weighing method.

Either way the point is that the air cell needs to enlargen to a specific size by day 18. Because THen humidity needs to be elevated for lockdown and further development of the air cell slows or ceases all together with higher humidity levels.

I keep the humidity around 35% during incubation and bring it up to around 75% during lockdown. Since I have been doing my hatching like this my hatch rate has went up.

How do your air cells look on day 18? I'm curious. Like the typical diagrams or larger? It is amazing how what works for one area isn't spot on for another area. Every hatch I learn something.

I don't personally weigh my eggs nor do I check the air cells. I used to candle at day 10 but now I only candle on day 18 or 19 when I set the eggs for hatching and discard any that haven't developed and early quitters. I mark any eggs that are borderline and several times they have hatched as late hatchers. I think many people put a lot of effort in and still get the same results. A broody doesn't weigh her eggs or check the air cells. It is ok to do if a person is interested in checking or experimenting, but the outcome in my experience doesn't change.

Back
Top Bottom