Little Giant Incubator Tricks

Pics
Oops! I forgot something important. It appears as though it was not cleaned after the last hatchlings :( thinking their could be bacteria issues? And my husband set it up in our canning shed/summer kitchen....which is like a screened in porch....is this ok? Been afraid to move it since the temps/humidity are all good right now and it's in lockdown.

I use two incubators. One for incubating, one for hatching.

we all make mistakes. It is part of learning.
hugs.gif
THe key, is to learn from them and find other ways. Wells are put under the screen--you can fill those and get humidity to the level you need for most species.

You have been dropped in to the middle of incubating these eggs. you have not had time to ease into this. Just do the best you can for these eggs.

If gamefowl, as in chickens, 21 days to hatch. Low temps delay hatch; really low temps can cause death. Today is day 21, if my math is correct, and because they might hatch late I give 5 more days just to be sure. Cool temps delay hatch, there is still hope.

Brinsea has it's own problems too. Read the Brinsea thread for more information on that model. THey all have quirks.

GOOD LUCK !!!

Tomorrow would be day 21. The remaining eggs could hatch out this weekend or the first of next week. I always leave the eggs in a few extra days and have had hatches before. Depending on what the chicks are, my guess would be that they can hatch up to day 28. I also have an incubator I incubate in and another for hatching.

Last edited:
I watched a few videos on making an incubator last night. I'm busy moving and it might be a bit much to start another project on top of packing, moving, cleaning the new house, cleaning the old house and building fences. And I have to sort out a coop, either build it (with 4 helpers 7 years to 17 months) or buy one. It might be worth the hassle to just buy a second LG at this point. I hadn't planned to do two to three hatches this month...oops! But I read the SFHs will lay OK in the winter, so I decided to proceed. I want some fresh eggs since I'm moving away fem my source!

I watched a few videos on making an incubator last night. I'm busy moving and it might be a bit much to start another project on top of packing, moving, cleaning the new house, cleaning the old house and building fences. And I have to sort out a coop, either build it (with 4 helpers 7 years to 17 months) or buy one. It might be worth the hassle to just buy a second LG at this point. I hadn't planned to do two to three hatches this month...oops! But I read the SFHs will lay OK in the winter, so I decided to proceed. I want some fresh eggs since I'm moving away fem my source!
THe LG is pretty cheap and does a good job, IMO. I like the flexibility of two incubators. My home made Henny PEnny hatched a turkey this morning, and put the remaining eggs and poult in hatcher. I find two incubators can make hatching easier when dealing with staggered hatches.

Treat yourself and save some stress.

I just hatched 8 Coturnix eggs in a used little giant with a fan, a ninth egg was still "an egg" infertile. So that makes it a 100% hatch! Little red plugs were missing so I taped over them. Probably beginners luck. I filled the water troughs daily. The temp swung from 94 to 103 the whole time, I just kept fiddling with the knob. I turned the eggs 3 to 5 times a day. Dropped them a few times, I have carpul tunnel. Listened to them for scratching noises. Added a big sponge and towels so their little feet did no get stuck in the wire at lock down, Took the tape off the holes, still fiddled with the stupid temp. What is a hydrometer? There was condensation dripping off the windows. Must have been wet enough. They all jumped out of their shells within 24 hours and were all over the place. After 2 weeks I am brooding them in a babies portable playpen. I just ordered eggs. I hope that I have the same kind of beginners luck again.

I just hatched 8 Coturnix eggs in a used little giant with a fan, a ninth egg was still "an egg" infertile. So that makes it a 100% hatch! Little red plugs were missing so I taped over them. Probably beginners luck. I filled the water troughs daily. The temp swung from 94 to 103 the whole time, I just kept fiddling with the knob. I turned the eggs 3 to 5 times a day. Dropped them a few times, I have carpul tunnel. Listened to them for scratching noises. Added a big sponge and towels so their little feet did no get stuck in the wire at lock down, Took the tape off the holes, still fiddled with the stupid temp. What is a hydrometer? There was condensation dripping off the windows. Must have been wet enough. They all jumped out of their shells within 24 hours and were all over the place. After 2 weeks I am brooding them in a babies portable playpen. I just ordered eggs. I hope that I have the same kind of beginners luck again.
The hydrometer measures the moisture in the air. I usually track the room RH and the incubator. Most of us dry hatch , which means putting in as little water as possible or even none at all in the wells during the first 18 days. You can get a cheap hydrometer at walmart.if you are intersted. Or just candle the eggs looking for the deveopment of the air cell for the number of days incubated. If you want more info just let me know.

Good job on the eggs. Good luck with the nest batch!

Back
Top Bottom