Little Giant problems----UPDATE----

rhythmicgoldfish

Songster
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
Barrington
my little giant bator keeps fluctuating between 98 and 102 will my eggs still hatch?

-------------------------------------------just hatched-----------------------------------------------------

so i had
day 4 : a spike of 106
day 13: a spike of 106 and a low of 91
day 18: a spike of 105
day 19.75 a spike of 106 (as they were hatching)

so far my hatch rate is only 20% i have candled the rest of the eggs and i have slight hope for 30% but not high hope

today is day 21 and i am crossing my fingers for a mirical

my two chicks hatched on day 19.5 the first to hatch had not finished absorbing the yolk him draging it around made the bator filthy

Last edited:
Mine does the same. I'll let you know in 2 days!

Do you have 1 thermometer or two? Early on I had fluctuations that may have been misreadings by the thermometer that came with the LG, rather than actual fluctuations.

I'm going with the theory that a hen's eggs are exposed to some variances. I hope, hope, hope yours and mine turn out!

Laura

Mine does the same. I do know that temps do vary with broody hens because they get off the nests to eat and defecate for brief periods. And during the summer I have had broodies sit with their eggs shoved out all around them. When I was less experienced I would try to put them back thinking she had rejected those or that she had been negligent & I know better than she that they needed her warmth. She would roll them right back out from under her. She just knew they were getting too warm. She has never failed to hatch all that she was setting.

Mine does that too, especially after I turn them. I did have a friend tell me that as chicks develop they produce heat that can effect the temp. She was telling me that every time you turn them, the embryo shifts effecting the heat. My eggies are due to hatch Saturday, here's hoping!

Sonja

I will be hatching this Sat too! I am sooooooo excited!

I also use the LG, I only seem to have a difference when I turn them or if the temp in the house changes.

Oklahoma weather!

I posted the same thing the other day. Just getting ready for the eggs that are in the mail.
If you look for a post that read hate my lg that was mine. I have put dish cloths on the viewing windows at night when the temp goes down. This seems to help. I have no trouble with the humidity.I can raise it up or down any time I want. (use the same temp. water as the bator temp.. During the day I pull a red plug that seems to help on the temp rise during the day.. This is the last batch of eggs in this bator. I will get another kind because I don't like to baby sit all day and night!
lol.png

Mine does the same thing - even my new one.

On my last hatch, it got up to 102* and they still hatched.

Ill find out how my new LG bator works after saturday!

I found that you are better off letting it swing - it is probably your room temp that made it swing....Mine got up to 101.5 yesterday, but the house was also at 70*. It's usually between 60 and 65*. It drops to 98.6* when the room temp goes under 60*...

Best thing to do if it gets too cold it to throw a blanket over the whole thing!

Back
Top Bottom