Little Giant question

tntstanifer

Songster
12 Years
Nov 1, 2007
Tennessee
This is my first time trying to hatch eggs. I bought a little giant(still air) & egg turner at TSC. The only real problem I'm having is the difficulty in adding water. With the wire mesh, turner & eggs in there, I can't even tell where to put water. Do you have to take everything out each time? Use a medicine dropper? seems like that would be slow and the incubator would be open too long. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I just threw a wet sponge in there this morning rather than trying to "hit" the water "bowls". It's holding @ 50%.

Thanks,
Terri

I had the same problem with mine to. Here is what I have done to my LG.

First since it is so hard to see the water basin I colored them in with a sharpie marker so that I can see them. The one basin for the first 18 days is blue the other basin for day 18 and over is red. Second I bought a watering can with a long spout from the garden center. THird whenever I need to fill the basin I pull out one of the eggs fom the turner that sits over the basin and fill with water.

For day 18 and over I use one of my really LARGE syringes that I use to use for handfeeding parrots and I added flexiable tubing to the end of it. Similar to the tubing you put onto your fish pumps. I run that down through the red plug hole and fill in the water basins during the hatching. That way I am not opening up the incubator. A really bright flashlight helps in this as well since where my incubator sits it is kind of dark. Hope this helps!!

Quote:
Wonderful wonderful advice, thanks!
Now, one more question. I have one square (rather large) basin in the middle, with two smaller basins on each side of it. Which basin is for what?
Ok, two questions
roll.png
Where did you get the really large syringe?
Thanks!!

Quote:
Wonderful wonderful advice, thanks!
Now, one more question. I have one square (rather large) basin in the middle, with two smaller basins on each side of it. Which basin is for what?
Ok, two questions
roll.png
Where did you get the really large syringe?
Thanks!!

The large one in the middle is for day 18 and over the two smaller ones on the sides are for your day 1-18. I had to add an extra dish of water to mine to up the humdity for day 18 and over make sure if you do that add some marbles into the dish so your newly hatched stumbling and fumbling chicks do not fall into the bowl and drown.

I got my really large syringe from a friend that works at the hopstial. I also get them from a medical supply store that is local here. You could even use a turkey baster withthe tubing on it I am sure that would work too. Especially since the spout on both are about the same size.

Back
Top Bottom