Little hen attacked by Cat

I know from my first hand experience with Chicken Matthews that the peroxide will kill healthy flesh. If you use it, only do so once.

You also need a strong antibiotic like Baytril. Amoxicillan didn't work on Chicken Matthews.

If the wound is under the wing, keep her INSIDE and away from flies.

When I said salt water, I meant saline solution, but you CAN make your own by boiling water and adding salt to it totally dissolves and letting it cool.
Some people have it on hand all the time. dhlunicorn has a recipe for making it, its very easy, and in many of the wound posts, I believe it was about 1/4 teaspoon salt to a quart of water.
I try to absorb most of her posts, she is a found of knowledge.

Jill

I have saved several chickens and a Goose using this method... After cleaning, spread Nolvasan ointment on the wound. Nolvasan is a 1% Chlorhexidine acetate in a Hydrophilic ointment base that contains 10% stearyl alcohol. I keep it on pretty thick for the first couple of days. I also give a shot of penicillin, about a 1/2 cc, under the skin for 2 days. I then skip a day and give for 2 more days if needed. The last rooster I saved like this was plucked alive by the dogs. He was one mad naked rooster. He was also pretty tore up. Not much skin left. He is now growing feathers and not so mad at the world. I would also suggest feeding oatmeal with vitamins. Good luck. You can get any of this stuff at your feed store.

I finally found a vet that would see her this morning. It was a horse vet though, so the return on investment thing...he doesnt see too many chickens lets just say.

Prognosis isn't good, but because I made the effort, and she is still fighting, she got a shot of antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. He thinks the spine/spinal cord may have been damaged but she can still hold her head up some. He also said no ointment, cat bites and ointment mean holding the bacteria to the skin. He prefers to "keep it dry or get bit by a dog."

I felt so bad about not having named her yet, so I named her Grace.

OMG! Would you believe it??!! Gracie is doing so well. She was able to hold her head up 3 days after taking her to the vet and eat on her own. I put a small sister of hers in the box with her and it was like she was a new woman. I have her in the garage now in a big inpenetrable box. I called and told the vet, and he was speechless. He had told me that if this chicken lived, it would be a miracle. Well, I guess I have a very special chicken!

Back
Top Bottom