Little lawnmowers

Yes, they can be effective grazers, but how they manage a pasture or lawn depends on how many you're grazing, pasture size, and the composition of the pasture. They like forbs and are very good at working fencelines where weeds grow. There may be some forbs in a pasture they don't like and they'll graze around them.

What's your goal with grazing geese?

Yes, they can be effective grazers, but how they manage a pasture or lawn depends on how many you're grazing, pasture size, and the composition of the pasture. They like forbs and are very good at working fencelines where weeds grow. There may be some forbs in a pasture they don't like and they'll graze around them.

What's your goal with grazing geese?
I would just like to keep already mowed grass nice and trim

Six geese kept in a yard that is 90 x 60 feet golf course short. Anything smaller than that, and they seem to kill the grass.

"I have a small meadow, I'll get geese to mow it!", I thought to myself. My geese (and ducks) love the 'I killed it to grow a garden' former front lawn where the only grass is trying to take over again weeds while the back has 12"+ grasses they barely touch. 10ft from the dirt grazing zone in the same fenced area is some short annual grass that is going to seed. Maybe its a taste thing with the former lawn blend. They also leave my sprouting bulbs, perennials, and hostas in the same dirt zone (mostly) alone.

There is hairy vetch and thistle mixed in with the meadow and that could be a factor in their avoidance. I've witnessed grabbing a mouthful, headshake, then spit it out again.

Back
Top Bottom