Little mutt bird, any guesses on sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rena, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Rena

Rena Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Colorado
    This funny looking little friend is 6 weeks old. Mom is a leghorn and dad is a Lakenvelder. He is the sweetest thing, always trying to climb up on your shoulder or get into your pocket (though he doesn't fit anymore). He was the only baby who made it from a small hatch so I don't have any others to compare. Any guesses on gender? I know it's early, but no harm asking? [​IMG]

Thanks for any ideas!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    To young to even attempt to venture an educated guess.

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    At 6 weeks and no comb development (especially with the mom being a Leghorn), I think you have a pullet.

4. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    i think pullet. It's really cute, almost looks like a crow had a baby with a chicken

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I say Rooster. He has large legs and a boyish posture. That black skin can fool ya. Is that a walnut comb in the making?
    Are you absolutely positive about that parentage. From 2 single combed parents, where did that little one get his?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  6. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    My friend has hatchery white leghorns...one of them has a rose comb...who knows if the parents are from hatchery stock, but I too have doubt about it's lineage....was it a white leghorn? I thought leghorn white "covers up" other colors, making the bird predominantly white, yellow legs, and white skin (black skin on comb of this bird)? The earlobes look kindof yellow too?

Can you get a good close up of the comb for us?

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

His expression says roo to me, but I don't see comb development. So I don't know but he sure is adorable.

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:It's my understanding as well about the white cover-up. I believe it to be a dominant trait. I feel fairly certain that one cannot get black skin from that parentage.

9. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    It looks like a pullet to me. [​IMG]

10. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    It's a pullet. Leghorns and Lakenvelders are both large-combed breeds, so by now on a cockerel you would see some development. Unless it's a weird slow-developing one, they happen on occasion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by