Little one will not grow, HELP

Gatordog

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
I bought 9 peeps at TSC on Feb 26th and they were all the same age and size. I got 3 Reds and 2 black and white peeps and the rest were yellow fuzz butts, but are white now. The little one has had problems that started off with the crusty butt and has always had what looks like a hard time breathing. The other peeps have feathers and there combs are started, the little one is not even 1/3 the size of the big ones.

I put the big ones out in the coop today, but the little one is just to small and only has feathers on it's wings. Does anybody have any idea what the problem is and how to treat it. I have been mixing One teaspoon of Duramycin-10 per gallon of water and changing it daily.

The little one is hanging on, but is alone. Should I go and get a couple of peeps.

She came from the same bin as the other black and white and yellow peeps. Might be a bantam, but does a bantam lack that far behind in regards to feathers, and what about the heavy breathing?

I had a chicken that had asthma (if she ran she would not be able to breathe after and forget it when I changed the straw). There is something out there (I don't remember what its called but I got it from the feed store) but I would warm up the liquid in the microwave and give it to her and she would be fine

She came from the same bin as the other black and white and yellow peeps. Might be a bantam, but does a bantam lack that far behind in regards to feathers, and what about the heavy breathing?

My first suggestion is to put a mirror in with her so she doesn't feel so alone. And a lamp for heat since she doesn't have other bodies to snuggle with.
The lack of feathers isn't a good sign at 4 weeks old. And the heavy breathing makes me think she has a poorly developed lung or heart problem. Try giving her scrambled egg as a treat and make sure she has vitamins in her water. I'm not sure there is much else you can do. She would benefit by being held and getting extra attention since she is alone.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom