Little pig on the loose... Help?

ShadowRooster

Songster
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
claremont, NH
Someone came here this morning to drop of our two new pigs. Well, one of them got loose. (not our fault in any way) Our house is close to a road. Its about as close to a highway as a road can get without having two lanes... lots of speeding and corners. We have tried everything to get this pig back. Not interested in food at all. Herding it is not working well. She keeps going in the road. We have made a pen out of stuff laying around to try toget her in, but she got out once and will not go close to it now. I feel like giving up and getting the gun, but the is a registerd american guinea hog gilt here and she is worth alot, to me and her breed.
sad.png

Sorry for all the grammer spelling mistakes. Cant sit here forever.

Last edited:
Is the other pig for the same litter/place? Maybe if you nring the other pig out (confined/tied up of course) it might persuade the pig to come closer. Running after the loose animal will only make it worse (beleive me I use to work on a pig farm) unless you have numerous people there to corale it. I use to use 3x4 foot piece of ply wood with two holes cut out (to hold it with) to pursuade stubborn pigs into pens/scale and it worked quite well.

The only thing I did when my pig got loose was to lure her back with food. Pancakes work really well. I sure hope you can get her back. Good luck.

You can also try calling the sheriff or animal control to see what they suggest. Let them know it was an accident that it got out....you don't just let them run wild but maybe they can dart it or something. Maybe a vet will do that also.

WOW usually food works. I would definitely put the other pig on a long leash or something and give that one some food. If the loose pig sees the other pig eating, it may try to get closer to it. Good Luck!

Any folks around that hunt wild boars? They'll have catch dogs that will catch and hold. It might get a bloody nose, but that's better than hit by a car
hu.gif

Thank you all!
smile.png

The pig is back in its pen. The pigs have never met, but she got lonely after dark and heard the other pig in its pen, and after a hour or so she went in. This started at 9:00 this morning and ended at 8:30. I didnt even get lunch. It was just luck that she went in the pen. After 12 hours of trying to keep her out of he road.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom