Little poults just never give up!

LMAO! That's funny!
big_smile.png

We really enjoy having turkeys. When we first got them people said, "oh turkeys are sooooo stupid" we'll, I'm here to say, not mine!!!! They are very smart. Especially the hen, she follows me when I go inside the house, then jumps up on the front porch furniture so she can see inside and find out where I am. Then, once she sees me the chirps start, and the pecking at the screen. I went ahead and took the screen out of that window. She likes sitting outside my sewing room and chirping while I sew.

Consequently, this year, my husband decided that he wanted more turkeys, and bought three at the feed store. I am not entirely sure what to make of these guys. They are Rio Grande Turkeys. They were listed as a rare breed, which as far as I can tell from my research they really aren't. But they can reproduce, so that is good, and they are more of a body like a heritage breed, which is good as well. The research said they can grow as tall as 4 feet!!!! That sort of freaks me out, since it didn't say if that was at the head or the tail feathers when ruffed up. At 9 days old, one of them is assuredly a tom, he is already strutting!!!!

This is a picture of my Royal Palm set
DSC_0066.jpg

These are two of the new additions
PIC_0187.jpg

PIC_0189.jpg

Have fun!!!
Rachel

Quote:
I do. For now they are contained in a tractor till they are bigger then my rooster caleb. Then they will have free range with everyone else. I plan on eating them though since they are meat birds.

They are really cool and soo interested in everything you are doing. Of course I think mine are lazy, but... that's probably because they are the Cornish of the turkey world! Some day I'd like to get some heritage breeds.

Thank you for taking the time to post the photo, Pelican!
smile.png

That is the closest I've seen yet, which is a relief, since I'd begun to think my husband and I were having a group hallucination on what our bird looked like!

She looked like a cross between that turkey, and a barred rock!

We got her from a man who claimed she was an African breed. At the time we didn't much care about that, she was cute as the dickens, and turned out to be a fine pet....aside from one major incident, and it was our own fault.

I guess it comes down to the following choices:

She was a silver auburn with more markings;

She was a mix;

She was a rare breed which isn't often here (The man wasn't American, and made trips out of the country.)

Or, she was a rare breed which is, or is almost, extinct. Reading the pages on Feathersite, I saw turkey breeds with just 40 or 80 birds/hens left that they know of. I suppose it's possible that a breed which was already teetering when I had her, 30 years ago, could be gone now.

In any case, I feel better just seeing one similar. Thank you!
smile.png

Naturally, right after I post, I find something!

I had seen photos of the, Narragansett, but they didn't really look like our turkey. Then, just for fun, I looked at the drawing of one on Murray McMurray's site:

Narragansett

Aside from the white band on the wing, that looks like her....a lot!

And the descriptions I've been reading fit, too. Everyone mentions their calmer-than-usual disposition, and that describes her very well!
smile.png

I just thought I'd update!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom