Little Sanda's Big Adventure

StuporMan

Chirping
Mar 22, 2021
IMG_20210505_002057.jpg
IMG_20210504_225904.jpg

IMG_20210502_234822.jpg

Meet Sanda! I received a batch of call ducks about a week ago, and among the little hatchlings was Sanda, who appears to be a grey call duck!
Even for a call duck Sanda is quite small, barely reaching just over half the size of the second smallest duckling from his brood. Unfortunately this has also come with the side effect of making him the target of bullying to the point where I had to isolate him at just a few days old. Any attempts to reintroduce him to the other ducklings has met with failure as both parties have appeared to have rejected the other.
While not the greatest circumstance for a duckling to be in it did allow him to grow and develop at a much healthier rate than he was while with the other ducklings. He's also bonded quite heavily with me so I carry him around with me whenever possible so he doesn't feel lonely.
I'm hoping to use this thread to document his growth and share little stories about him as he's got a very big, loving personality that is too adorable to not love!
He's actually named after a kaiju (giant movie monster) from a certain movie from Toho Studios, i named all the call ducks after giant monsters, because it's funny to me hahaha

View attachment 2657187View attachment 2657185
View attachment 2657186
Meet Sanda! I received a batch of call ducks about a week ago, and among the little hatchlings was Sanda, who appears to be a grey call duck!
Even for a call duck Sanda is quite small, barely reaching just over half the size of the second smallest duckling from his brood. Unfortunately this has also come with the side effect of making him the target of bullying to the point where I had to isolate him at just a few days old. Any attempts to reintroduce him to the other ducklings has met with failure as both parties have appeared to have rejected the other.
While not the greatest circumstance for a duckling to be in it did allow him to grow and develop at a much healthier rate than he was while with the other ducklings. He's also bonded quite heavily with me so I carry him around with me whenever possible so he doesn't feel lonely.
I'm hoping to use this thread to document his growth and share little stories about him as he's got a very big, loving personality that is too adorable to not love!
He's actually named after a kaiju (giant movie monster) from a certain movie from Toho Studios, i named all the call ducks after giant monsters, because it's funny to me hahaha
Wow! I’ll definitely be fallowing! I’ve always wanted calls and maybe one day will get some.

Wow! I’ll definitely be fallowing! I’ve always wanted calls and maybe one day will get some.
They're just a treat to raise honestly, they just seem stoked about everything and are full of so much energy! I'd recommend going through Johnson's Waterfowl! They have very good customer service and a pretty reasonable prices from what I've seen. Thank you for following too, I'm very excited to share this little guy's story with everyone!

IMG_20210508_214831.jpg

IMG_20210509_133227.jpg

Sanda is as energetic as ever, he won't eat his food unless you let him forage in his box for it (if you try to secure the bowl he'll fling it into the bedding anyway)
Made a little diaper and a satchel for when I go around the house so Sanda doesn't get lonely (the safety pins are temporary until I can get something better) he isn't too keen on the satchel but he doesn't mind being diapered!
The satchel is literally just elastic attached to a baby knit cap lined with paper towels.

That's great that Sanda does have such a lot of energy!
Your solutions (kiddy-sock-diaper and babyknit cap-Sanda-carrier) to be able to take little Sanda everywhere with you are awesome and the pictures are super cute 🥰

That's great that Sanda does have such a lot of energy!
Your solutions (kiddy-sock-diaper and babyknit cap-Sanda-carrier) to be able to take little Sanda everywhere with you are awesome and the pictures are super cute 🥰
Thanks! He's started eating a lot more since I started letting him follow me around the house, put some nutridrench supplemented with brewer's yeast in his water, and put a mirror in his box so he doesn't feel lonely!
He's still not growing nearly as big as his siblings but he's developing and that's really all that matters since he's going to have to be an inside duck anyway.

Back
Top Bottom