little Silkie hatched, cant lift his head

Mom 2em All

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Dora, Alabama
I just dont know what to do. This was a batch of silkie eggs that the postal delivery must have been really rough on. Loose air cells, scrambled and broken eggs. What survived, I put in the incubator- three made it to hatch day, and I have had one hatch, one pipped then died.

It hatched today, and it cant lift its head. It hatched around eight a/m. I just got home from work, and it is peeping like crazy, and if you pick it up, it cannot lift its head. Seems like it would be fine if it could hold it up.

Any suggestions/help?

Sorry real have no help, wish I did. Have you tried to se if it will drink some sugar water? Maybe that would give it some energy to pick its head up, or vitamin water. Hope it turns out ok.

Sometimes it takes awhile for them to gain strength. Try a bit of sugar water. Just drip it on the beak. Vitamins and Electrolytes are better if you have them.

It seems to be fine now. I really don't get it.
hu.gif

I took it out of the incubator- after tearing through my cabinet looking for some poly-vi-sol, and Vitamin E. I massaged its neck, and held its head up. Wouldnt even open it's eyes.
I put it back in the incubator, and within minutes, it was sitting and holding up its head. After all those hours of not doing it. Then, it started wobbling around. Now it acts fine.
clap.gif

i've heard that silkies can be hard to hatch. My first and only attempt at hatching them was a complete failure. And yep i've had a few chicks with weak necks at hatching i just let them get up and moving on their own, sometimes it takes almost a full day.

Back
Top Bottom