little tikes log cabin

Quote:
What is the purple ball thing?

Yes, as MJCooper42 wondered, it is a cat litter box, the Booda litter box. I got it really cheap and thought it went quite well with the colors of the playhouse. A few of the hens think it's perfect as a nest box, just as I'd hoped!

Hi Deb,
It has been getting noticeably colder! This weekend I will fill the walls with the spray insulation, and caulk around the roof (thanks!). Up until now I have been using tarp (tucked between the roof and the walls) to keep the rain out. You are right, the roof is a bit leaky at the joints. I just went to check the tarp, we are supposed to get a lot of rain tonight. I would love to get some hay bales as well, just in case. I wouldn't know where to find hay around here, though. A nursery? I was thinking of maybe wrapping the whole playhouse in tyvek or some kind of foil insulation if the hens seem cold. I did put a big thermometer inside the coop to check the temperature.
I am also very new to chickens, I got these two New Hampshire Reds in June when they were about 3 1/2 months old. I love them--they are so cheerful and friendly. I am lucky to have very supportive neighbors, who keep an eye out for them. We have had all kinds of attacks--raccoons, dogs, and a huge red-tail hawk. So far they have been safe, but sometimes I go out there at night with a flashlight to check. Their run is chain link (the floor, too) with 2 feet of hardware mesh all around.
This weekend I also want to paint the plywood part of the door red, like the bottom. It has nothing to do with winterizing, but it will look much better.
I am having so much fun, in a way I never want to "finish" the coop.
Have a great weekend!
Vepla

Hi Vepla,
I'm going to Fitts Mill in Scituate this weekend to get hay. Haven't decided yet quite how to stack it around the coop, but I'll figure something out. I'm also going to hang a thermometer in there, too, to monitor the temperature. I think we still have plenty of time before it really gets cold. Have your chickens started laying eggs yet? Mine won't until late November. Can't wait. Keep me posted, deb

Hi Deb,
My hens started laying two weeks after I got them in June. It's so exciting to find that first egg!

I used two bales in the back and two in the run, against the shorter side of the playhouse. The other side is sheltered by the garage and I left the front clear so I can easily open the door and window, but I can always add more later. I have a thermometer in there already, and I noticed that it can get pretty hot in there when the sun shines directly on top in the summer. But your run is covered, right? So you already have extra protection from the wind, rain, sun, etc.
I sprayed the insulation in the walls, and I don't think it did the trick--it did not expand as much as I was hoping. Hmmm.

You are right--there's still a little time before it gets really cold...

Back
Top Bottom