Little Tikes Playhouse Coop. Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dianaross77, Aug 17, 2011.

1. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I just finished this yesterday in response to losing a silkie to a predator. It is temporary until we build our new shed/coop. I did it by myself. It took a few hours. I got the house on CL for $30 last winter. I used 2x3 to frame the floor and for the roost and pressure treated 4x4 for the legs. The floor is bathroom tileboard. Hardware cloth covers the side and front windows and door windows, the back window is boarded up. I didn't put in a ramp since my girls don't seem to care about that and just hop right in. Not having a ramp will also keep any would be predator from reaching the door should it get through the tarp covered roof.

Coop and run (I open the door inward to keep it from getting in the girls' way when they get inside to lay)
    [​IMG]

Floor and nestbox
    [​IMG]

Roost
    [​IMG]

Door lock
    [​IMG]

And chicken TV (surveillance camera)
    [​IMG]

Outside feeder and waterer (also made myself)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    You did a great job!

3. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Looks REALLY nice!!!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What a great job! Makes me want to re-vamp my Little Tykes playhouse coop before I set it up at my new property....

I do recommend the screw-type carabiners, instead of the clip kind, though. Raccoons CAN operate the clip kind.

5. rjlanger2

rjlanger2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Central Texas
    Looks fantastic!! If you weren't so far away I'd hire you to build an extension for me.

Is there something along the bottom to keep anything from digging in under the fencing?

Love the "Chicken TV". Do any of the cable services carry it? [​IMG]

6. dianaross77

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:I am planning on adding an apron. I just wanted to make sure that even if something did get into the run that the coop would be safe. I don't know if any providers carry chicken tv but if I ever get the feed set up online, I'll let you know! [​IMG]

7. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    incredible idea

8. dianaross77

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:It wasn't mine first. I borrowed it. [​IMG]

9. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. [​IMG] looks good

10. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    [​IMG] Good job, just one thing, i would round off the edges on their roosting pole, so their feet wont hurt while they are roosting

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by