Live baby poultry and those who are immunocompromised

LCMeadows

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
NW Ontario
I'm not sure if anyone will respond but it's worth a shot!

I didn't realize when I bought my chicks (4, currently in a brooder in my basement) that due to the fact that I am on immunosuppressive therapy (organ transplant drugs among others) I shouldn't be handling or caring for them.

sad.png

Obviously I am diligent about hand washing and cleaning, but I just feel that they should be outside for my health reasons.
They are about 3 weeks old and I am considering putting them outside in the coop with a heat lamp. I would be safe to assume that as long as it's draft free and they are still kept indoors that they should be ok even though we are currently sitting at 0 degrees at night? Will a heat lamp be enough in a small coop to keep them warm?

Thanks in advance,

L

I would be inclined to give it a go, but if you are concerned the best thing to do would be to hook up a heat lamp in the coop and test the temperature over at least a 24 hour period.

I think the first thing you need to do is talk to the Dr. who manages your transplant care. This is a life or death issue, and if your Dr. gives you the go ahead, then you'll have his blessing. And if your Dr. says no, at least you will then be able to make an informed decision. But, no matter how much you are enjoying those chicks, it's not worth risking your life. There are a few people on this site who have poultry and who have been through immunosuppressant therapy. Perhaps they would chime in regarding their experience, even if they choose to do so via PM. Good luck. And take care of yourself.

I think the first thing you need to do is talk to the Dr. who manages your transplant care. This is a life or death issue, and if your Dr. gives you the go ahead, then you'll have his blessing. And if your Dr. says no, at least you will then be able to make an informed decision. But, no matter how much you are enjoying those chicks, it's not worth risking your life. There are a few people on this site who have poultry and who have been through immunosuppressant therapy. Perhaps they would chime in regarding their experience, even if they choose to do so via PM. Good luck. And take care of yourself.

Regarding moving the chicks outdoors: As long as the heat lamp will provide the correct temp, you should be good to go. Lots of people never brood in the house, no matter how cold it is. I'm brooding in my attached garage (under the bedrooms) and vowed that I would never brood in the house again. both I and my grand dtr have asthma, and even if we didn't, the mess and dust is more than I can deal with.

Back
Top Bottom