Live Crickets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by simplynewt, Oct 18, 2011.

1. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I seen the funniest thing last evening. I had the back door of the coop open to feed the flock when a grasshopper jumped into the middle of it. He had a choice to jump to the right which would have gained him freedom or jump to the left which would have landed him in the coop. He jumped left.

Within a matter of minutes, the flock seen him and it was on. He did not last to long and I have never seen these birds move as fast as they did. Seeing this bbought an idea to me... I thought it would be a treat for them for me to get some live crickets to throw in their coop from time to time as a treat.

How does this sound and is it possible to get them burnt out on cricket snacks?

They are all around 2 months old and I have them eating Chick Starter right now but they seemed to have fun eating this poor grasshopper.

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I have gotten mine crickets, buy them at a pet shoppe, sometimes I will catch a few and throw them in . The girls go wild. Today they got two large grasshoppers that I found on my screen door.

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    You can buy a box of live crickets at a pet store, and release them in the run. Your chickens will probably go nuts! [​IMG]

4. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    During the summer I would leave a piece of cardboard on the grass overnight and gather up the crickets in the morning. Wow, did our girls go crazy for them!

5. mamahen2011

mamahen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Michigan
    Mine LOVE their live crickets [​IMG] They see me with the bag and start jumping trying to get to them.

6. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I may try this on a rainy day.

7. cozwurth

cozwurth Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Franklin, VA
    Mine absolutely love crickets. I buy them at the hardware store in town and give them to the birds. They go nuts for them!

8. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Cool, sounds like my girls are going to have some fun soon. What would be better for them, cricket or meal worms?

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:They love both.
    We are in a drought here in SW Arkansas and this summer the only thing thriving was grasshoppers. My chickens would follow me around the house as I knocked grasshoppers off the exterior of the house for them, one at a time.

10. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Mine always gets the left over fish bait!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by