Live in a Very Cold Winter area? Post link to your personal page here!

And Nova Scotia is maritime, when it's cold and that damp sea air is blowing around, it feels much worse than the cold and dry of the interior - that's what we've got here. I'm in a little microclime, it's usually colder here than places north and west of me, Boston is balmy compared to this area usually. Good point, Vermontgal, about the garden zones, that's much more indicative of climate than states or provinces.

Quote:
I think you included a state up there that most definitely has extreme temperatures in the winter. Our climate is hardly on par with Virginia or Alabama! Many times it's colder and snowier here at our home in Massachusetts than it is at our home up in Maine. We've just come through a bitter cold spell for November, and February is no walk in the park, either. Just wanted to point out that our Northern Clime winters are pretty hard to deal with - of course you can out-cold us, but don't try to make us seem warmer than we are.

Agreed.

Great idea Pat. I suppose I should get to work on a personal page. I have to laugh though because I don't know if anyone noticed but the Google advertisement at the bottom of page 2 (when I was looking at it) was for a "Frozen Egg Bank" as in for egg donors. Not exactly the frozen eggs we're talking about!
tongue.png

Quote:
I am glad to provide amusement
smile.png

I would say to those Massachusetts people offended by the idea that your local winter is nuthin' compared to keeping chickens in SERIOUS winter areas,

"Obviously written by someone who had never
spent a winter in MINNESOTA"

LOL

Despite being an Uxbridge postal code and gardening zone, our house (in a low spot where cold air 'pools') regularly gets noticeably below -30C each winter, making it functionally Canadian zone 4 (USDA zone 3)

Much more to the point, anyone who's read many of my posts on the subject will know that I do NOT consider this to be an especially severe winter zone.

The point isn't whether Massachusetts is "cold" in winter; the point is whether other areas are quite a very lot COLDER and thus to be LEARNED FROM.

Pat

hmmm, where did you even mention minnesota in your post? I saw three states clearly listed and there (as has been mentioned) is no comparison between them all.

I saw Massachusetts as having been clearly listed, not Minnesota, so I guess we can presume that you didn't like being told that you made a wrong assumption about the cold factor in a state you don't live in, so had to try to come back with how you lived in Minnesota and it was even colder.

I believe in making that statement you just proved the point made by two of the other posters on this thread, that your starting this thread appears to be a case of I have one up on you, or outcolding.

I hardly think that you living in a colder climate than others makes you superior in anyway, which is how you make it sound whether that is your intention or not.
I really don't think you all need to give lessons to the rest of the people who don't live in as cold a climate, its a little if not alot insulting since I don't see anyone asking for this type of thing.
I am wondering why you felt it necessary to bring in particular states into your inquiry to begin with, instead of just starting a thread about dealing with the cold, unless you were intentionally stirring the pot?

Stay warm..

Oh for heaven's sake, simple life.

This is not about some imagined superiority. I was not aware that saying 'there are colder places than yours' was in some way "insulting"
roll.png

It is meant to be about LEARNING FROM PEOPLE, right?

Contrary to what you seem to think, people very frequently do post here wanting to learn what people in cold climates do with their chickens.

As I have said elsewhere, I do not consider myself to be in a severely cold climate (and you didn't see me put my page on this thread, did you), but we have many members here who ARE in places with Major Winter and have valuable experience to share... only it's hard to find that stuff a page here and a page there and a page elsewhere.

You don't wanna help out, you wanna get all distracted complaining and splitting geographical hairs and making it clear how much you don't like me, FINE, knock yerself out.

Meanwhile, I am trying to HELP OUT here by getting some useful resources all accessible from one place.

Sheesh.

Pat

Last edited:
What can really be said about raising chickens in a cold climate?
Its not scientific in any way, shape or form.
They are chickens for crying out loud.
Put them in a coop, keep their water from turning into ice and feed them.

OK Peoples - I'll fix this!

I LIVE IN THE COLDEST HOUSE AND HAVE THE COLDEST CHICKEN COOP! AK temps are normally warm compared to our mountain valley. You guys in antarctica and Greenland are wusses compared to us. Cold? Well, let me tell you about cold ...
wink.png

How's that? Does it settle it so we can get back to working on this great thread - and it is a great thread! I've already gotten a few new ideas about how to make life a little more comfortable for my girls. The last thing we need is for an administrator to pop up & shut it down now that the temps are starting to slide.

I'm happy to say that I am two roosters lighter this day. Someone picked up two silkies for their kids. Two fewer birds to try to keep warm. Sad to say my golden campine died last night.

Back
Top Bottom