mysterious heartbreaking death

They you all for your advice. I am so thankful that this community exists, I buried her early this morning, I honestly did not think an autopsy/necropsy was a feasable option. now that I know it is an option, I have hadhard time finding one in Wisconsin for less than $125 and I think I would prefer to leave her buried but may reconsider.

Please don't be too hard on yourself. Even the most experienced chicken keepers lose a feathered friend - as others have said, sometimes they just die.
I love the Mullberry tree idea - it is a fiting tribute to her - and get on with making sure you are caring well for the others.
:hugs

What exactly did you feed this bird each day?
Fatty liver disease kills without the bird ever showing a symptom.
egg layer crumbles with about 15-20% scratch grains mixed in, they get a handfull of soldier fly larvae a day for the four of them, occiasional table scraps, mostly veggies and occasionally left over rice/quinoa. I would also scramble and egg for them every now and then, It is quite possible I gave them too much soldier fly larvae and scratch grains. Now I am terrified for the remaining flock, I make sure they are not eating any foods that are posionous to them, but maybe I had been over feeding, as I was so worried about them staying warm. when they were young and growing this summer, I would chop up a bluegill once a week and they loved that, but that was months ago now.

egg layer crumbles with about 15-20% scratch grains mixed in, they get a handfull of soldier fly larvae a day for the four of them, occiasional table scraps, mostly veggies and occasionally left over rice/quinoa. I would also scramble and egg for them every now and then, It is quite possible I gave them too much soldier fly larvae and scratch grains. Now I am terrified for the remaining flock, I make sure they are not eating any foods that are posionous to them, but maybe I had been over feeding, as I was so worried about them staying warm. when they were young and growing this summer, I would chop up a bluegill once a week and they loved that, but that was months ago now.

Not to add to your burdens but that is a VERY high fat diet. Strongly recommend cutting the scratch and the BSFL out. Both are high fat treats, and in combination, should not exceed 10% of the daily diet, by weight. Preferably less.

Even at 10% by weight, the addition of BSFL to your chicken's daily diet likely doubles their daily fat intake from somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.5% (check the label on your layer feed) to whatever is on that label, plus another 3.5%.

Ducks and waterfowl are recommended a daily fat intake around 4.5%+/-. The only chicken recommended in the 5-6% fat range? High Yield Broilers (i.e. Cornish X) being fattened for table. A long and healthy lifespan is NOT a consideration in the CX diet.

Occasional table scraps are fine - but keep it to the 10% or less rule.

Not to add to your burdens but that is a VERY high fat diet. Strongly recommend cutting the scratch and the BSFL out. Both are high fat treats, and in combination, should not exceed 10% of the daily diet, by weight. Preferably less.

Even at 10% by weight, the addition of BSFL to your chicken's daily diet likely doubles their daily fat intake from somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.5% (check the label on your layer feed) to whatever is on that label, plus another 3.5%.

Ducks and waterfowl are recommended a daily fat intake around 4.5%+/-. The only chicken recommended in the 5-6% fat range? High Yield Broilers (i.e. Cornish X) being fattened for table. A long and healthy lifespan is NOT a consideration in the CX diet.

Occasional table scraps are fine - but keep it to the 10% or less rule.
Thank you so much, I was under the impression BSFL was the healthy alternative to meal worms and was high enough in protein that it could be a signifcant part of their diet. Thank you for the info, they will all be going on a diet, and the scratch grains will be completely cut out. At least they have a long speacious run to get exercise, but it cant cancel out over feeding I am sure.

Thank you so much, I was under the impression BSFL was the healthy alternative to meal worms and was high enough in protein that it could be a signifcant part of their diet. Thank you for the info, they will all be going on a diet, and the scratch grains will be completely cut out. At least they have a long speacious run to get exercise, but it cant cancel out over feeding I am sure.

Appreciate that you are in a postion emotionally to accept the advice. Many wouldn't be, I was hesitant to offer. Good info on poultry feeding is very hard to come by. and yes, they are "better" than meal worms, because while dried BSFL can be up to 35% fat, dried mealworms can be found up to 40% fat!

Its a situation where the benefits of the higher protein are usually overwhelmed by the consequences of the higher fat.

But both products are big profit for those providing them, and a great way to increase average ticket price at the farm store - and chickens DO love them (like we love the candy bars in the check out aisle).

As an occasional treat, like the candy bars, no long term health consequences. As a daily "dessert course", that is much less true.

Big runs, big ranges, help. The birds will forage, and probably pick some things up there, as well - but because those things will (generally) be full of water, their ability to substantially impact the dietary nutrition (for good or ill) is much blunted.

Appreciate that you are in a postion emotionally to accept the advice. Many wouldn't be, I was hesitant to offer. Good info on poultry feeding is very hard to come by. and yes, they are "better" than meal worms, because while dried BSFL can be up to 35% fat, dried mealworms can be found up to 40% fat!

Its a situation where the benefits of the higher protein are usually overwhelmed by the consequences of the higher fat.

But both products are big profit for those providing them, and a great way to increase average ticket price at the farm store - and chickens DO love them (like we love the candy bars in the check out aisle).

As an occasional treat, like the candy bars, no long term health consequences. As a daily "dessert course", that is much less true.

Big runs, big ranges, help. The birds will forage, and probably pick some things up there, as well - but because those things will (generally) be full of water, their ability to substantially impact the dietary nutrition (for good or ill) is much blunted.
I just went out and removed all the feed that had the scratch grains mixed in, and replaced it with the organic egg layer pellets I had as backup. This is my first year of keeping chickens and I think I was probably over concerned with them being well fed in the cold months that I didnt consider that fattening them up for the winter could have potentially diasterous consequences. I cant say for certain that is what killed her, but I think that fatty liver could certainly be the culprit. Now my only concern is that pure layer feed will have too much Ca for my rooster? I have read that most do fine sharing feed with their hens, but as you seem to know a lot about diet, should I be concerned about this? I am all over the place emotionally, but I am neither proud nor stubborn and want my birds to have the best life possible.

I highly highly recommend that you stop feeding this way.
It is highly likely that your bird did die from fatty liver disease.
The layer feed is a complete balanced meal so to speak.
Every time you feed anything besides that complete feed you are taking away from the bird getting a balanced diet.

The scratch grains and the mealworms are high and fat.

Back
Top Bottom