Lives lost per unit of meat eaten

It is the natural order of things,something must die in order for something else to live.You see it in the natural world all the time.

Again, yep, I don't eat meat. Or battery eggs.. and rarely dairy. And I don't have anything wool, nor do I have anything filled with down. Heck, I am too cheap to buy those last two.
tongue.png

However, no one is perfect - to me, every little bit you can do counts. If you eat meat, raising your own or buying from a local farmer with humane conditions is a huge step over eating the factory processed stuff. Some people skip meat one day a week. Some people eat only meat they hunt themselves or (gack) roadkill.
smile.png
Obviously some animals are killed in farming soybeans and other crops and I for one will still get wasp nests sprayed. If it's me or them, it's gotta be me.
tongue.png
tongue.png
I also don't scan ingredients for dyes manufactured from bugs, I don't worry about honey and while I do avoid cheeses with rennet and products with gelatin, I'm not going to interrogate a waiter to make sure those items aren't on the menu...
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

I also rehome roosters to homes that will end up eating them - but I figure that person will not need to purchase a factory farmed chicken so it's a plus.

Nature and the restructuring of it for humans needs to be a balancing act. But there's too much money to be made from screwing it up... so nothing is going to change until it HAS to change, so we still have time to live in denial about it.

I really like the car commercials that boast about 40 mpg being awesome... when we've had the technology to do 100 mpg or better for like... OOOoohhh... 100 years. We could have been conserving oil since way back then... but we didn't have to... and there was a lot of money to be made... so now that we HAVE to... I guess we'll go ahead and start releasing cars with better and better mileage every year. We were tickled pink with 25 mpg... then 35 mpg... next year or two someone will come out with an "amazing" 60+ mpg and we'll be enthralled by it. Genius.

The world is a hot mess and many people just live in denial so long as food is at the stores, power is on, and water is coming out of the faucet. Who cares about anything else not directly related to them. We won't flip out until we're disturbed.. it's all good. So long as we feel like we're informed... even if it's misinformation.. that's fine. All we need is to simply feel like we know something. Don't need to actually know anything at all. There's an app to tell us what to do. Supposing you have an Iphone anyways.

One thing that bugs me ,is all the waste of food, just look around the next time you go out to eat......how many people leave half their food to be throw out. One thing that I try to teach my grandkids , order all you want ,but eat all you order. Sad thing both my DIL alway order lot more than they eat.....my comments in the past was, that beef(or etc) lost its life , least you could do is not let it go to waste.

Something my father taught me, I was never force to eat food i didn't like, but if i put it on my plate , you bet i better eat it.

Dad was one of 13 children, raise during the great "D"...they wasted very little, pig ears, pigtails, chicken feet , all was ate.

We also have the technology to clone and therefore there should be no reason to have endangered species. In spite of this technology millions of acres are locked up to protect them... Pantheism seems more appropriate for the real reason a sort of Persephone of sorts.
Quote:

Re: Lives lost per unit of meat eatenWe also have the technology to clone and therefore there should be no reason to have endangered species. In spite of this technology millions of acres are locked up to protect them... Pantheism seems more appropriate for the real reason a sort of Persephone of sorts.

Sexual reproduction has some key benefits compared to other forms. Namely, more diverse genetic background, makes it easier to adapt/recover/etc. Simply cloning animals will not make for strong genetic or biodiversity, especially in the long run. It's one reason why I don't support cloned meat/produce (we've already had problems with genetically similar produce). Pretty much begging for that food supply to have serious issues and leaves it open to being more easily wiped out. Diversity doesn't just make for happy 80s movies, it is a vital part of life.​

Quote:
So, if we have a grizzly bear in a freezer someplace no need to give them a place to live? Just clone another one for the zoo.

Humans will shat upon every square inch of this planet if allowed. Would like to see parkland set aside that nobody can go into for any reason. Or not, doesn't really matter.

My knowledge of greek mythology is suspect so will not address that aspect of your post.

They have been doing inbreeding for years with condors and other endangered wildlife including salmon for the past 70 years. Cloning is not always using 1 sample and one can introduce new blood as long as there are adequate generations between introductions.. animals that dwell on geographically isolated areas (islands) have done well for centuries (penguins are very inbred, centuries worth). Like I said I think the whole idea has an ulterior motive.

Last edited:
Would one living in your backyard be OK? if so than I guess there is no need to clone them. I am saying that animals adapt. I recently visited Yellowstone and seen more wildlife outside the park than in the park including grizzly bears and they seem to prefer campgrounds over apparently suitable habitat.

If parkland were set aside like you suggest I doubt you or anyone would ever see it and without a fence there is no guarantee that the animals would like it either.Sorry but I am a realist.
Quote:
So, if we have a grizzly bear in a freezer someplace no need to give them a place to live? Just clone another one for the zoo.

Humans will shat upon every square inch of this planet if allowed. Would like to see parkland set aside that nobody can go into for any reason. Or not, doesn't really matter.

My knowledge of greek mythology is suspect so will not address that aspect of your post.

Back
Top Bottom