Livestock Guard Dogs -- UPDATE: puppy home! (pics)

Quote:
I think the main goal will be to inquire as to his breeding and parents, If these herding breeds come from decent lines your in good shape, out here in ranch country they are fantastic. If I may make a suggestion, try to buy from an area where these dogs are used as working dog's, It would lessen your chances of getting a ( pot licker ) if you know what i mean. good luck with your search.

AL

I love Heelers and if I were able to get another dog, I'd get a heeler. If you have sheep, Llamas work well. My grandma has had a great experiance with her llama proteting her sheep.

I love Shelties, and had them up until last year. They all died of old age. My Shelties used to sleep in a ring around the bed on the floor, one would get up on the bed and sleep with me until I fell asleep then she would get down on the floor and curl up on the rug. They are extremely intelligent and just want to please. The herding/guarding instinct has not been breed out of them. And if trained to work with livestock, they are fearless. However as far as large predators go, they will defend with their lives their flock which includes their humans. They are good with animals and people if properly socialized and trained.

Australian Shepherds or Aussies as they are more commonly called are actually an American breed. They are excellent herders of large and small livestock, good at guarding, and will defend against predators and are reserved towards strangers until they see that the person or persons are not a threat. They were based in part on the old farm collie,

Collies come in two coat styles rough and smooth. The rough coated collie is what Lassie was. However, most rough coated collies today have been bred more for show than working. So if you want one, check and see if the breeder uses his dogs for working purposes or just show. Smooth coated Collies were developed to originally drive cattle. Again you need to be careful and check and see if the breeder uses the dog for working purposes or just show.

German Shepherds, Dobermans, Rotties are all breeds that were originally bred to work/guard livestock or property. Of the three I would go with the GSD as a choice provided that his parents were working dogs and not just pets or show dogs. One of the things you have to be careful with in large breed dogs is Hip Displaysia. It has become more common in GSDs because of the show ring.

Border collies are extremely intelligent, and live to work. to the point that if they don't have something to do they can become destructive out of boredom. But once trained they will work well and defend what they believe is theirs.

These are just some of the breeds that I have worked with over the years. The AKC has not some of the most current breed information, standards etc., but also a breeder referral service.

But no matter what type of dog you get, be it a purebred or mxed breed, unless it is properly trained and socialized it will become your worst nightmare.

You can do a search on Petfinders and find dogs that have been rescued and are available for adoption.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks so much for all of the information! Right now, I'm leaning towards Aussies... but I'm going to continue researching... and hoping that the backyard breeders who advertised in the local paper still have some pups left
fl.gif

How much should I expect to pay for a good pup? The paper ad says $400 and that's by far the cheapest I've found. Then (looking online) it's more like $600-$800 without breeding rights, and more like $1K for a dog with breeding rights.
he.gif
I know you have to think of this as a 10-year investment... but $1K for a dog? OUCH.

ETA: I just got an email from a fellow BYCer who still has a couple of male pups left from this litter: http://circlecaussies.com/page6.html

The
dogs are beautiful, the breeder is very nice and knowledgeable, and the prices are much more reasonable than the (typically inflated) California ones I listed above! So if anyone in the Utah/Washington area reading this thread is interested in an Aussie pup, definitely check them out. (I'm hoping for a girl so I'm holding out.)

Last edited:
Border collies are extremely intelligent, and live to work. to the point that if they don't have something to do they can become destructive out of boredom.

This is very true. They can also have jealousy issues if you bring a new baby in to the house. A relative had to rehome hers because of this.

As for shelties, I can't say enough good stuff about them. I had one years ago and I have a close friend with 2 adorable dogs (I call them my step-dogs). The dog I had, Baron, had such strong herding instincts that when I went to play tennis, he would "herd" stray tennis balls
big_smile.png

He started doing this totally on his own as a puppy. He would sit at the foul line, and then if one of us made a wild shot, he would go get that ball and bring it back. He never went on the court and tried to take a ball in play, but he somehow figured out the ones outside the white line were fair game.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
$400.00 is about average price for a decent Aussie pup. The Higher amounts are more for show/agility prospects. When you go to look at any puppy from a breeder ask to see the parents of them if possible. This will give you an rough idea on the size and temperment of the dog you will be getting.

When you look at the puppies observe their behavior for awhile. If any of them back away and bark or hide, don't pick that puppy no matter how cute it looks. You want the one that comes up and gives you a "Look Over" first. As you said, it is an investment for several years not only of time, but of the heart as well.

We used to have an aussie, and she protected everything, from the kids to the newly hatched chicks, from the horses, to the cattle. She loved her job, and everyone loved her. Right now we have a Great Dane (Very good at protecting the family, not so much the animals) a Boston Terrier (not good for anything, but we love her anyways) New Foundland (Loves the animals. Protects all of them, has chased away foxes and deer...) and our newest one, Macy the Great Pyraneese (sp?) She stays out in the barn at night and during the day, sticks around in the sheep/goat/horse/llama pastures, and the cattle field, great gaurd dog.

After much research and contemplation, I'm going to be getting an Aussie from this litter!

http://purestockaussies.com/index.p..._litters&tri=available_litter_pics_2008-11-23

Her dogs are raised on a ranch, and she breeds for ability to work with livestock. The breeder has been AMAZINGLY helpful and patient answering my hundred and one questions on Aussie genetics and personality.
I'm looking for a girl. Any advice on which ones sound/look like winners? I have to pick at Week 6 (Jan 6th), but I can list preferences ahead of time...

a very excited, puppy-feverish,
--farmergal

ETA: I decided that, in the end, I wanted a pet/general farm dog first and LGD second. So the dog will probably spend most of its time with us out in the fields... but maybe late afternoons/evenings with the chickens (on nights when we don't feel like rushing home to lock up the coop.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom