Livestock Guard Dogs -- UPDATE: puppy home! (pics)

Well, my German Shepherd mix that we rescued 11 years ago has been the best LGD and family member.

He grew up in town with us but we all moved out here 7 yrs ago to the country. It took him a few months to figure out the 'rules' of country living but he's been absolutely the best dog and much happier here on acreage than he was in town; even in our big yard.

He just has an innate sense of what belongs to him (anything on our property) and vigorously chases off ALL predators. Since we started to let him run loose 24/7 we've not lost any animal to a predator. He doesn't leave our property... ever and we don't have dog fencing - just livestock fencing. He is completely safe around all of our livestock and, even more importantly to me, around all our kids - including the foster children that have come and gone.

Because of his size (about 90 lbs.) and he's mostly black, people are afraid of him and I like that. He loves people but they don't have to know that until I know them.

I think that there are several great LGD breeds that would work for you... it's more the individual dog in any breed though as every breed has good and not so good representatives. It's in the genetics of the line and the training by the people. I agree with the poster who said to make sure you buy from a reputable breeder who specifically breeds for guard dog behavior.

Best of luck finding the right dog for you.

I was looking at the GP too but I am allergic to dogs so I put in a search on a site I don't know which one sorry and it said I was a match for a NAID (native american indian dog) Which I had never heard of before but am now seriously considering getting one.

Quote:
I find if you don't MAKE them both you have SERIOUS problems. Hence the people that think, working dogs means no contact but to throw food at it.... IT makes ME CRAZY! THey should be part of your family, they know their animal protection jobs and always do them.

My family has a friend that breeds alpacas and uses anatolian shepherds and those dog have saved her son from coyotes and killed at least 10 coyotes and one or two bobcats

Yeah, I appreciate and understand the concept of a "working dog" -- a dog that feels like it has a purpose of some kind and isn't satisfied unless that purpose is being fulfilled. Sled dogs like to pull, guard dogs like to guard, etc. But I'd imagine that if you didn't socialize your dogs and train them well, you'd have dogs that wouldn't be very useful in 'real life'... dogs that would just bark their heads off no matter what if a visitor stopped by (instead of responding to a command), dogs that would refuse to be on a leash, etc.
It's good to hear that some BYCers adore their Great Pyrs. I'm still torn about the size/shedding/barking though... what to do, what to do?? It sounds like these puppies are going fast so I'd have to act soon...

I think that a good Blue Heeler ( 1st pick ) or a border Collie are good choices you should seriously look at. They are med sized work livestock very well and the best part is they are great family dogs as well because of thier fierce lolalty. These dogs have the genetic breeding for this, they are happiest when protecting your animals and family.

AL

Thanks for the suggestions on border collies or blue heelers. It seems to make sense to stick with herding type dogs, since they've been bred to live around livestock and be protective of a flock (even if it's sheep instead of poultry.)
For some reason it seems like Border Collies are hard to find in California. There's an ad in the local paper for Australian Shepherd pups though. They look like beautiful dogs, and are about half the size of the Pyrs... intelligent with guarding instincts...

It's so hard to pick a dog when there are so many excellent choices! And no matter what, it's going to take training to make a chicken-safe dog, I think.

Would still love to hear more about other people's LGDs... and training techniques for controlling their Pyrs, or controlling their collies herding instincts (so they don't herd the hens to death).

Ours as puppies, this might close the deal for ya!
lol.png
Picture321.jpg
puppy_pictures_069.jpg

Poor POOR PYrenees in the summer in FL, so he dries after swimming quicker!
Picture316.jpg

Back
Top Bottom