Livestock Guard Dogs -- UPDATE: puppy home! (pics)

Quote:
How old is he?
He's most likely got some Great Pyr blood, since they are the most common large white dogs. The color on his ears could also be Maremma genetics.

GOOD CHOICE! I love aussies
love.gif

I have two aussies, but I grew up with one too. All 3 of them know/knew what animals belong to us and will only chase away animals that don't belong here.

Herding breeds do not chase animals all day. A good herding dog listens to its master and waits for a command. Look for a dog that is interested in people- you want a dog that is highly biddable to its owner, which most herding breeds are. My aussies will only herd the chickens if I ask them to "get the chickens" and they will help me move them.

Out of my two aussies, my show girl is 101% reliable with the chickens. In fact, a couple of the pullets have a game of chasing her when she's walking away. As soon as she stops or looks around, the chickens pretend to be mining their own business. It's hilarious. She was 18 months old when we got the chickens.
My other aussie, out of primarly working lines, is more intense with the chickens. I only trust her with them when I'm there. She was also already 4 years old by the time we got the chickens, so she was not raised with them or other livestock. She did do herding with ducks in the past and was very good at it.

P.S. If you need California Aussie breeder opinions I can help! Unless you decided that you are going with the one you posted for sure.

We tried a GP dog once. We got him as a puppy and raised him with the birds and other animals. Had him in a three acre fenced in pasture with some goats and geese. Went to feed one afternoon. And guess what we found?????? A $150 megelan goose dead and the great LGD chewing on it.

I know it could happen with any dog, but from now own we will stick to out AUSSIES. They do a great job protecting the farm and the animals

Quote:
How old is he?
He's most likely got some Great Pyr blood, since they are the most common large white dogs. The color on his ears could also be Maremma genetics.

I thought that could be a possibility, I will start a new thread when I get the DNA done. Exciting!!
Good luck with the Aussie pup!

So I ended up picking "Quail" (who is now named Kea) and she's absolutely wonderful... except like all babies she keeps me up at night and has to pee it seems like every 5 seconds!!! She's been introduced to the chickens and is unfazed by the loudmouth rooster, and she doesn't chase the hens around or anything. She's a bit more excited by the month-old chicks in the brooder, and barks at them, but I think she just wants to play... so for now she'll mostly be hanging out with the bigger girls I think.
Here are some pics of the new baby:

13464_keastick.jpg

13464_kealick.jpg

13464_keaflock.jpg

13464_keasit2.jpg

This was taken on the day we picked her up, she's kissing her mom goodbye...

13464_keamommy.jpg

Good choice, as I sit here and type I hear my Great Pyrenees barking at.... um.... I think the snow?? I'm not sure though. I love her to death but my gosh does she bark at everything. I have her up at the house at the moment so she can be with the family for the winter. She doesn't have anything to guard and it's driving her crazy.... me too. I can't wait until she has birds again to guard in March so she can be out in the pasture.

I have a Blue Merle Border Collie and he is just great. He makes a better house pet than the G.Pryenees and doesn't shed or bark near as bad. He is only 14 weeks old but will be introduced to chickens in March. This is the second Border Collie I've owned and the first one gave me 12 years of everything he could. Always right next to me when I would feed and water and always listened to my commands. Never asked why, just did it. You will be happy with your choice as border collies and aussies are so much alike. I think they like to tend to the chickens on a daily basis as it's a job for them but they like to be apart of the family just as much.

You can get an idea of how they act in the last photo. My G.Pyrenees has a mind of her own and if she thinks her way is better... than she does her thing. My border collie on the other hand won't let me out of his site. In the picture you see the G.P taking off... and my Border Collie... waiting for me to catch up.

My Great Pyrenees for example would rather be out in -10 degrees in 2 feet of snow, chasing coyotees and barking at the wind. She lives for it and it's what I need her to do. I have 17 acres and there is no way I could guard it by myself. I'm actually looking into getting another Pyrenees if mine didn't take at the breeder this time.

All in all I think you made the right choice. Good luck with your puppy and take lots of pictures as they grow so fast!! Here is a couple of mine if your interested. Riley is the puppy and Keona is the Great Pyrenees.

1855_2009_01090045.jpg

1855_2009_01090044.jpg

1855_2009_01090075.jpg

1855_2009_01090059.jpg

1855_2009_01090065.jpg

Back
Top Bottom