Livestock guardian dogs in the deep south?

maizey

Songster
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Deep in the heart of Dixie
Just out of curiosity, does anyone in Dixieland own lgd's and if so, what breed? I have NEVER laid eyes on a great pyrenees type dog in Alabama, nor seen them for sale in local adds that I peruse fairly regularly. I know follks must use dogs here as livestock guardians, but no idea what breeds are best suited to perform those duties and cope with the ridiculous heat/ humidity of our area..it would seem that a shaggy great Pyrenees would keel right over in August. Thoughts?

It gets well over 100 degrees here in the summer and mine do just fine, my girl takes dips in the ponds when she gets to hot and my AS/GP cross does the same, i just have to keep an eye on their ears cause to much moisture can causes ear mites, so once a month i put drops in all their ears just for safe measure
As stated below the GP is a great guardian ,my Pitt bull is my best gritter getter cause she is small and can get to them if they try to hide once they have entered the safe zone and are found she is relentless in her quest.

Back
Top Bottom